• Esquimalt and Nanaimo Rwy. down to one operational Geep

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by ENR3870

The E&N Railway has recently removed GP38 3870 from service due to extreme wear on the wheels. Leaving only ENR 3809 to handle the freight traffic. The ENR claims 3870 could be out for a while, while they try and find either a wheel lathe or new wheels. The wheels on 3809 aren't much better, but the unit is still useable. 3870 cannot be moved without doing damage to the tracks.

by 2spot

Isnt 2099 supposed to be the backup for E&Ns primary engines? I personally thought two GP-38s (back to back) was overkill for the traffic they get. Did 3870 break a flange?

by ENR3870

The 3870's wheels had been worn into an oval shape and had a few flatspots that damage the rail. 2099 has too many missing parts to be used. Apparently 2 units are needed when switching the barge as there is quite a grade to the slip, about 3%. They do haul a fair amount of cars on the Uptown Switcher, enough to need two units.

by ENR3870

The ENR was able to get a portable wheel lathe and will be doing the wheels on 3809 as well.

by 2spot

Any idea why they were using 2099 for parts? RA is a pretty big outfit and must be able to afford spares. Does it need wheels too? BTW, do you work for RA? You have way more knowledge than a typical railfan (like me).

by ENR3870

2099 is missing most of its brake equipment which was removed and put in the 3809. Taking parts off 2099 is easier than purchasing new parts, not to mention cheaper. BTW, I don't work for the ENR(RA). But I do know some people who do.

by 2spot

I think its great news that the E&N needs two GP38s to power the Uptown Switcher. It means our 119 year old railway still competes with trucks. I still wish there was a customer in Victoria( and for that matter, more customers for the E&N all up and down the line) so I could see the trains down here. The Budd RDC isnt enough.

by ENR3870

3870 is back in service, they're going to do the wheels on 3809 before it goes back in service.

by ENR3870

There is an ethanol plant being built in Cumberland that should provide some new freight traffic for the Victoria Subdivision north of Parksville. Not to mention it would probably require rebuilding some of the old Canadian Collieries rail line into Cumberland from north of Union Bay.

by 2spot

Funny that the Victoria Subdivision is north of Parksville. This is very good news. Seems to me that in 2001 E&N/RA gave notice of cessation of freight service, and the line faced closure. Now the customer base is growing again... I still miss seeing the Geeps rumble through Langford. Did the E&N ever run anything other than GP units after the Baldwins on the mainline? Will 2099 be put back in service?

by ENR3870

2spot wrote:Funny that the Victoria Subdivision is north of Parksville. This is very good news. Seems to me that in 2001 E&N/RA gave notice of cessation of freight service, and the line faced closure. Now the customer base is growing again... I still miss seeing the Geeps rumble through Langford. Did the E&N ever run anything other than GP units after the Baldwins on the mainline? Will 2099 be put back in service?
The line from Victoria to Courtenay is the Victoria Subdivision, Port Alberni Sub runs from Parksville to Port Alberni. The Geeps replaced the Baldwins, the high hood GP7's and GP9's. CPR had two MLW switchers, later replaced by GM SW8's based out of Victoria for switching the Store St. trackage, and Langford switch jobs. CPR also used SW1200RS's and RS23's, basically whatever was available at Port Coquitlam that was light enough to run on the E&N. Not to mention that shortly after RailAmerica took over they leased two (ex-BC Hydro) SW900's off BC Southern Rail Link.

by 2spot

I can still remember the high hood geeps. I went to school at Savory and had to cross this little bridge over the tracks to get there. The school, the bridge and the tracks are still there; once in a while the geeps go by too. I think I remember an SW unit, but didnt see it much. Not that I'm doubting you, but I dont ever remember a MLW here. It would be cool if you could post a picture of a MLW switcher working on the E&N.

by ENR3870

2spot wrote:I can still remember the high hood geeps. I went to school at Savory and had to cross this little bridge over the tracks to get there. The school, the bridge and the tracks are still there; once in a while the geeps go by too. I think I remember an SW unit, but didnt see it much. Not that I'm doubting you, but I dont ever remember a MLW here. It would be cool if you could post a picture of a MLW switcher working on the E&N.
I may be wrong, but the MLW switchers were used in the late 1960's or early 1970's after the Diesel-Hydraulic switcher was retired.