• ER Model's Sharks...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Komachi

Not so good news everyone,

I was looking at the Walther's webpage this morning, pricing a pair of ER Models Baldwin RF-16 ("Sharks") and the note attached to the description of the product was "Will be discontinued after selling out." Does this mean that Walthers will no longer carry the ER Models line, or is ER discontinuing making the RF-16? Is there a better one in the works that they are going to produce or is this to be the last dog hung?

Just wondering if I should snap 'em up now or wait and get something better down the line. Anyone out there who has them and would like to comment on their performance and whether they're worth the investment?

Appeciate any info. and comments you guys have.

by Phil Hom

I heard ER Models (Importers) has gone belly up. Bachmann is importing some N Scale sharks. They could be from the same overseas plant ER Models was getting them from.
  by Don

If you're interested, I think I have a D&H shell.
Don

by CIOR

The sad thing we are seeing is the smaller companies either being bought up by the larger ranks, folding up shop, or simply walking away.
What I have heard is ER is done, just another one in the long list.
  by bando1473

Word from the Bachmann message board is that they have only the N scale shark. ROCO still has the tooling for the HO shark. ROCO built them for E-R.
Al

by Xplorer2000

How's the quality on these units? I have the chance to possibly snag a couple for short cash for my freelanced home road.

by SRS125

I have seen one of these H.O. Scale sharks at the club layout that I'm in they run nice I don't own any of them but it seemed to run vary well with no problums.
  by Komachi

Well, I have two on order from Walthers. Can't wait to get them in service hauling freights on the CP (former Milwaukee Road) River Line between LaCressent, MN and Winona, MN. They're deffinately going to look sharp in my home road's maroon and gold paint scheme (similar to the one on the MN State Police cars).
  by bando1473

The ones I have I aquired years ago, they're Model Power units.

Didn't like the B&O paint (the blue was to light) so I stripped them and did my own B&O Blue/grey/black paint job. Nice units.

Al
  by bando1473

Just noticed a used Model Power sharknose on E-bay. It's a B&O

E-Bay # 5956158663 One day to go. $10.50 Good Luck

I have no interest in the matter.
Al

by Steve Wagner

The E-R (Euro-Rails) D&H Baldwin Sharks are much more nicely painted than the old Model Power units, and they run very smoothly. I have a pair and am happy with them. They do not, however, have separate grabs and handrails comparable to those on recent Atlas locos.

The problem is that E-R is either drastically reducing its activities, going out of business or already out of business, reportedly because of a serious illness in the owner's family. By the way, Newark, NY, where the firm is/was located, isn't far east of Rochester, where I gather this forum is based.

by Otto Vondrak

(The Railroad.net "Technical Ops" are based in Rochester, the "Editorial Offices" are based in Westchester, and the servers are in California)
  by RS112556

Just for your info the E-R Models building in Newark has a for sale sign in front and looks pretty empty. I figured something may have been going on with them for awhile now since their web site has had less and less in stock for ordering over the last year or so. Really too bad as they carried some products that you couldn't find every where.