• Engine Crew Districts

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by RMadisonWI

I think all Milwaukee-based crews are qualified to run the Empire Builder as well. I know one conductor on the extra board in Milwaukee, and he runs Hiawathas, the Empire Builder, and occasionally a trip to Pontiac (as he's also qualified for Michigan).

Robert Madison

by shlustig

At one time, Amtrak crews on the Lake Shore Limited worked west from Albany to Cleveland (485 miles)on #49; 9PM Report and 7:30AM Arv. @ Cleveland. They laid over in Cleveland for the next #48; roughly 1AM report and 12N Arv. @ ALB, with a substantial part of the trip going toward the rising sun.

At the same time,CLE to CHI (360 miles) was split into 2 crew districts. Go figure!

by Railjunkie

shlustig,

Engineers on the Lake Shore Limited work ALB- SYR, SYR-BUF,BUF-TOL,and TOL-CHI. Train crew NYP to ALB,ALB to BUF BUF toTOL TOL to CHI

by CSX Conductor

Railjunkie, any reason why the train crew works straight through between Alb and Buf, but the engineers only work between Alb/Syr & Syr/Buf ?

by F40

To add, what if the train was delayed for certain reasons, and the hour arrives where the engineer 'dies.' Is the current crew still permitted to run the train over the limit to get to the next/last stop?

I wonder how this would factor in considering the marred record of the Sunset Ltd., and occasionally, the Silver Meteor, which Amtrak has put a lot of 'band-aids' on to help it survive. I saw a few instances in which the Silver Meteor, arriving NWK over an hour late, would have a HHP-8 marked with 'acela' (at the time) stuck in the front. Was this because of equipment shortages?

Which locomotives are normally used by which Amtrak lines?

by RMadisonWI

If a crew dies, the train stops, and a replacement crew is shuttled out to wherever the train happens to be. To have the train continue to move would result in massive fines to the railroad.

Robert Madison

by Railjunkie

Back in the day the T&E crews went ALB-CLE,CLE-ALB on 49/48. Then the engineers went to BUF/NFL (2 men on head end then) and train crew went to CLE/NFL. Some where in that time it was decided that engineers would change at SYR as there would be only one man needed between ALB-SYR and SYR-BUF/NFL. I believe there is a rule that states if a trip is more than six hours long from starting point to end point there has to be two men on the head end, ALB to BUF is just about six hours but when going to NFL its over the aloted time. Trainmen and conductors just started going to BUF instead of CLE the past few years.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Under the Hours of Service Law, when the clock strikes twelve, "that's all folks". The train, either class or service, had best be on a siding when cinderella becomes a pumpkin. The only exception to Hours of Service is an emergency; I'm willing to bet, but I've been away from the industry too long to be authoratative, that if a passenger train's HEP was Bad Order that would be an emergency and accordingly the train could proceed to the next place passengers could be safely detrained.

As noted earlier, Amtrak, under its existing Agreement with the Employees, can avoid assignment of an Asistant Engineer if the scheduled run if less than six hours or if reasonable and practical conditions preclude such (example Auto Train; no opportunity to "sit on the throne"). Therefore, this in itself becomes an incentive to establish shorter crew districts, but on the other hand, shorter districts may require more Meals and Lodging (remember the bunkhouse no longer is "suitable lodging"; hasn't been since the 1964 Agreement); also may require more employees which translate into more fixed "head" costs such as RRTA Tier I, RRUI, and the "biggie', Health & Welfare.

Further, we must acknowledge that it is a bit more stressful to "drive" the train, than to sit back in the cars handling revenue etc, even though the "guy in back" is the "skipper'.

Lastly, there is historical reason for the longer Train as distinct from Engine crew districts. For passenger Train crews (C&B) the minimum pay (the famous "Day's Pay" comprosed 150 miles; all others 100. Therefore if passenger Train crews only ran Albany-Syracuse, 130 some miles, there would be unused miles that the men (yes, MEN, back then) would be paid for anyway. All other positions running Albany Syr would be paid 30 some "overmiles'.

by AmtrakFan

John_Perkowski wrote:To answer Mr Amtrak Fan's question...

It's been in my lifetime.... that railroad labor law fell back from full crews for every train, everywhere.....
Thanks for the help.

AmtrakFan

by F40

For the Auto Train, I hear they stop to fill up in North Carolina. Please comment on any details (i.e. what facility, time of fillup, etc.) and is the same applicable for the train going to Lorton as well?

And the max speed on the AutoTrain is 150mph according to a MNR worker who took it last summer. Which equipment is in use on this line?

by westernrrtx

Mr. Norman's response is right on. However I must take exception to the " men " reference . I would like to remind all that plenty of trains were run in WW2 with female crews.

On a personal note I worked with a female conductor with 25 years seniority ( 10 years freight from the days of getting on and off moving equipment, passing lantern signals, flying switches ect. ) . She was so good and we worked together so well , plus she is cute and a great dancer, we married.

by RMadisonWI

Don't know about refueling, but the Auto Train stops for a crew change in South Carolina (Florence?).

As for a 150 mph Auto Train...not a chance. Top speed is probably 79 mph at the most.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Auto Train is recrewed, fueled, and watered at its Florence, SC service stop.

Max speed for AT on the RF&P (LOR-RVR) is 65Mph; 70 on ACL (RVR-SFA)

When my buggy is aboard, that's quite fast enough, thank you.