• Engine crew change for 25 & 26

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by latonyco

It was recently posted on another site that engine crew changes between the Hudson and Mohawk Divisions for the Twentieth Century Limited were made at Rennselaer. I have always been under the possibly mistaken impression that the Century made the crew change at Albany Union Station. Can anyone shed some light on this? If so, would any other trains, perhaps the Commodore Vanderbilt, not listed in the timetable as making a station stop at Albany, have been handled the same way? In the late forties and early fifties it was noted in form 1001 that trains 27 and 28, the New England States, did not enter Albany Union Station. Crew changes for that train were no doubt done at Rennselaer too. Those trains would have probably crossed the river on the same north bridge that Amtrak now uses.

by Jack Shufelt

You are correct that No. 25 and 26 changed crews at Albany Depot as stipulated in applicable ETT's. In the event an extra section was operated it would likely have changed crews at Rensselaer especially during the 40's and early 50's when that facility was still being utilized for that purpose.

Which section had the RPO car or car with space assigned to Albany, during the period when 25/26 was scheduled to stop at Albany, was a consideration to determine which section would operate into the depot and which would operate via the freight bridge to Rensselaer.
  by ChiefTroll

I might have been guilty of posting the Rensselaer Yard engine crew change for 25 and 26. Checking my oldest time table that lists those trains, No. 69 of April 30, 1950, the times for both trains on the Hudson and Mohawk pages show them at Albany, not Rensselaer Yard. No. 25 has 5 minutes, and 26 has 3 minutes at Albany. A whole bunch of trains, including 27 and 28, show times at Rensselaer Yard instead of Albany.

Of course, additional sections could go either way.

Gordon Davids