• Employment with the NYA

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Legio X

Knife-Switch, the elite Tenth Legion welcomes you back!

by Knife-Switch

I've never really been gone actually, just too busy working for peanuts to find the time to complain about it!!!!

As for the medication Jay, since we have such a poor prescription plan, in order to deal with over heating engines, swapping engines(sounds kinky), engines with wheels that go klackaty klack, and engines whose wheels have been cut down so much we are now into shaving asphalt off the roads in Crymdanch, I've been reduced to cutting my 5 page wheel reports into little toy soldiers/brakemen!!!! :wink:

by mutz155

HAVING BEEN AROUND THE LAST CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS, PAY IS NO MORE THAN 18-19 AN HOUR WITH A STARTING RATE OF JUST ENOUGH TO BUY A CAN OF DOG FOOD AND 1 WON-TON SOUP TO-GO A WEEK. AND REMEMBER WHILE YOU ARE SITTING IN TRAFFIC TO GET TO SIGN UP FOR THE EAST END JOBS, THINK ABOUT STRETCHING THOSE BIG BUCKS FOR GAS MILEAGE. ALSO, WHEN YOU ARE AT HUNTINGTON AND TALKING TO THE LIRR ENGINEER WHO IS MAKING QUITE A BIT MORE THAN YOU ARE AND IS SITTING IN A NICE COMFORTABLE MU AND YOU ARE ANKLE DEEP IN SNOW, YOU TELL ME. FANTASY IS NICE BUT REALITY PAYS.
  by KFC Jones

Bdawson266 wrote: And a decertification of a locomotives engrs license. And to people I know, we all know who already should have two decertifications in that railroad that still is employed there... :o)
Yeah how 'bout that... it's the same all over! Get caught twice doing something decertifiable, say for example,

1) ouccpy a main track without permission, and

2) speeding (at uh let's say AMOTT just as an example)

and the FRA mandated punishment kicks in!

What is that mandated punishment, you ask? Drum roll please............ Promotion to management! Yippee!

by jayrmli

Thanks for re-opening a thread that was over two years old!

Must have been a slow weekend for some.

Jay

by KFC Jones

jayrmli wrote:Thanks for re-opening a thread that was over two years old!
You're welcome! No need to have a whole bunch of threads with the same general subject.

So..... is NYA hiring for train and engine service now or any time soon?

(!)
  by freightguy

Hey Steve,

I hope all is well and your enjoying retirement. I was supposed to be at a wedding in a backyard East of LD with a bunch of people from Patchogue and Medford this weekend. I am short on cash and didn't want to go. That is cool NYAR was going to run an extra out there, I ran those from time to time.

BTW, there is a yardmaster on duty again out at KO after the evening rush!

by KFC Jones

So, is NYA hiring?
Last edited by KFC Jones on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by mutz155

I SOMEWHAT AGREE WITH BDAWSON266 BUT WHEN YOU HAVE TO START PAYING BILLS AND WHAT NOT AND YOU REALIZE THE NONSENSE INVOLVED WITH THAT PLACE, GO RIGHT TO WHERE YOU WANT TO BE INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME HERE. MTA, NJT, AMTRAK ARE THE PLACES...GOOD CASH AND GOOD PENSIONS UNLESS YOU LIKE PEANUTS TO EAT INSTEAD OF CAVIAR.

by KFC Jones

I sort of agree with MUTZ, the voice of the Coast. The money, benefits, retirement, and working conditions are better at the commuter lines and Amtrak. They all hire trainmen "off the street," and with the exception of MNC, engineers too.

BUT if you want to have fun, with a little danger thrown in, and get paid for it, NYA is the place. It is a mental and physical challenge, I mean that in the best way! Personally, I have worked for NYA, "little" Conrail, a private industrial switching operation, and a commuter RR, and I would rate NYA #1 as far as enjoyment and feeling of actually going to work and doing something useful, but #3 in pay, working conditions, etc.

I was diagnosed by NYA's unofficial resident psychiatrist as suffering from cognitave dissonance while working there.

So are they hiring?

by tushykushy

If you have a pulse I heard you're in!

by jayrmli

Doesn't look like they're hiring, but rather a word that rhymes with it. A few "non-roster" employees were recently let go. Lots of bean counting and math equations going on in the office now.

But then again, what goes on one day has no bearing on the rest. So come sun-up, they may be hiring.

Jay

by KFC Jones

jayrmli wrote:Doesn't look like they're hiring, but rather a word that rhymes with it. Jay
Miring: what too many cars on the inbound does to the yard.
Tiring: the effect of said inbound on the yard crew.
Siring: Hey now! I thought Mac G was gone!?

I guess you mean firing. Dang, well tomorrow's another day.

by mutz155

IrInG - WhEn CoUsIn KeNnY pLaYs FaVoRiTeS

BuYiNg (tImE) - To FiNd A REAL JOB!!!!!!

out.