• Elizabeth Parking Deck - any problems?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by BigDell

Seriously thinking to take a morning at the parking deck in Elizabeth. Have wanted to do that for a while. Was going to set up video on a tripod and also 35mm hand held. Just wondering if anyone has done this since the photo-police have been out. With my lanky 6-foot frame and Mediterranean look my actions could be "misconstrued". Does the city run the parking deck or is it privately run? Anyone ever have problems there? Is it really a good place to shoot? (I'd heard it was...). If so, is the top level best?
Thanks,
BigDell

by Lackawanna484

I haven't had a prob there in 3-4 visits. I think the parking authority runs the lot. It's pretty cheap, too.

Morning might not be the best time to be there, given the angle of the sun will be on the other side of the tracks until about 11 am this time of year. It's ideal (if you like shooting thru catenary) in summer pm rush, with light behind your left shoulder as you face the outbound traffic.
  by nick11a

BigDell wrote:Seriously thinking to take a morning at the parking deck in Elizabeth. Have wanted to do that for a while. Was going to set up video on a tripod and also 35mm hand held. Just wondering if anyone has done this since the photo-police have been out. With my lanky 6-foot frame and Mediterranean look my actions could be "misconstrued". Does the city run the parking deck or is it privately run? Anyone ever have problems there? Is it really a good place to shoot? (I'd heard it was...). If so, is the top level best?
Thanks,
BigDell
That's something I've been wanting to do for a long time myself. I've held off though due to the wonderful neighborhood it is in.

And yes, many photos there come out great. Several railfans have photograprhed from there. However, it is one of those spots where I wouldn't personally stay at for too long in case of an encounter with one of NJTPD's finest.

by Don31

Its my understanding that the deck is owned and operated by the city of Elizabeth, therefore NJTPD cannot prevent you from taking pictures there.

by E-44

Well, you may want to be careful about visiting the parking decks in Elizabeth. Apparently you may have more to fear from the Elizabeth cops than NJTPD.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 041/LIFE06