• Electric freight train service to end in New Zealand

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

Nz currently has a 18 tonne axleload, so that rules these out. Possibly the central section can go to 20 tonne with recent bridge renewals, but i Would think 22 tonne is out of the question.
height doesnt seem to be a problem , not sure about the width,
Thanks for the link.
  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote: Merry Christmas, Philip.
You too, David.
Below- my favorite shoe polish. Made from genuine kiwis.
  by NorthWest

David Benton wrote:Nz currently has a 18 tonne axleload, so that rules these out. Possibly the central section can go to 20 tonne with recent bridge renewals, but i Would think 22 tonne is out of the question.
I think that these may have ballasted frames for extra tractive effort in the coal-only 'heavy haul' service they are designed for. In any case, I suspect that NZ would prefer to have dual cabs anyway, but at least there is a relatively recent traction package available for a relatively similar loading gauge. We'll see what happens. A rebuild of the EFs would be the cheapest way to keep electrics.
  by David Benton

We call it Bo-Bo-Bo, and it was designed that way for the sharp curves. From what i have heard/read , these are a smooth riding loco, and I've never seem one jumping around on the corners, nor have i heard any screeching on sharp curves.

I am in Palmerston north at the moment , the southern (and main) depot for the elcetrics. There are 4 parked up outside, 2 look as though they have been parked for awhile, 2 look like recent additions to the pile. One is in the latest Kiwirail livery. Whilst there ,, a long container train came in hauled by 2 of the new DL locos. But it could have come form one of the 2 diesel branches that come into Palmy from the North.
  by philipmartin

"Palmy"- ok, I'm learning. I think the original, the PM, was known as Pam.
I still can't visualize Bo Bo Bos going a around a sharp curve and staying on the rail unless the middle truck can shift or doesn't have flanges on the wheels. But you folks can work magic that we Americans can't. I'm thinking of six wheel tenders. The Pennsy tried but couldn't keep them off the ground.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by David Benton

Pretty sure the middle truck swivels form side to side. I think this is achieved by the use of springs. Some Brush electric locomotives had a similar system with only 2 trucks , there is no pivot as such , the springs are all that attaches the truck to the body .
Palmy is the local name for Palmerston North. there is a Palmerston in the south island as well, but it is not referred to as Palmerston south , nor would it be referred to as palmy.
  by NorthWest

Three trucked locomotives had various lateral motion devices to allow the middle truck to shift around corners. It does result in less lateral stress on the tracks than a typical C or Co truck, which was why the Swiss decided to use it on their Re 6/6s. This arrangement was rarer on diesels than electrics due to issues with where to put the fuel tank, but there were some DJ locomotives for New Zealand built by Mitsubishi.
  by David Benton

The DJ is still in use on the Dunedin railway. Kiwirail had a couple still in use for light rail railways in the north , but that has been put on hold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zeala ... locomotive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by philipmartin

NZ has three truck motors. Abraham Lincoln has a four truck car in 1861 = oneupmanship. :wink: http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/ppmsc ... 08257v.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cph/3 ... 01832v.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Explanation: I posted these Lincon pictures on FOTR, copied the links from there to here.

This is from a series of "Trains" magazine blogs, which I, as a Manhattanite, find magnificent. http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/p/189592/2070806.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by philipmartin

Funny the union slamming the transport minister over full dieselization. It doesn't mention a single way the union members will be adversely affected. Knowing nothing about Kiwi Rail, I'm wondering if one crew will take trains through that currently require two crews. Or will they loose men (car inspectors,) by not having to change power half way through a run? That's the kind of thing that gets unions into action.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:Funny the union slamming the transport minister over full dieselization. It doesn't mention a single way the union members will be adversely affected. Knowing nothing about Kiwi Rail, I'm wondering if one crew will take trains through that currently require two crews. Or will they loose men by not having to change power half way through a run? That's the kind of thing that gets unions into action.
Anybody have a substantive answer, David?