• Edgewater line still used somewhat?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Steve F45

While trying to get some railfanning in early this afternoon i was headed down to 69th street on 1&9 when i looked to my right and saw lights on the old edgewater line. I turned around and looked over again and low and behold there was a train sitting on the tracks. I've never seen anything on these tracks before. So i tried to find it. Went down 2 side streets that run parallel to the tracks and could not get close enough to see it. Then went down 1 last street where the adavance auto/quick check mini mall is. All the way at the end i ran into the tracks and found 1800 with a few what looked like open top box cars and a few hoppers.

What company still uses this line? there is a side track with a box car on it.
Here is a crappy pic i took just so knew i wasn't dreaming.

by riffian

The line has always been in service to a point close to the 1&9 overpass. Empty flats from the intermodal terminal would be shoved up there for storage until needed for loading. Last year (or maybe 2003) yet another construction debris transload was located about half way up the branch. A new siding was constructed down to the point where you took your picture. There are usually two or three cars spotted there for loading. You were very lucky to catch this facility being switched out.

by Steve F45

How come i was lucky? Is it just difficult to catch them on the line?

by riffian

This facility only gets switched out once or twice a week, much of the time at night.

by cjvrr

If you look at the boxcar in the photo, note that the top has been cut off of it. There are several 'open top' box cars now being used be the C&D facilities.

by Steve F45

Interesting. I guess they go down to the recycling facility there. I saw signs for it, but wasn't sure if the tracks went to it or not.

by DogBert

Is an engine always laid up there though? A few weeks back I got this shot from right next to the 1/9 overpass. The engine was idling with no crew in sight (the guy in the photo is just a fellow photographher getting a closer shot). Behind ithe engine was a very long cut of cars...