• Edgeley rd flag stop (west Trenton line)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by 25Hz

I have been wondering for years about the large gap between woodbourne and yardley stations. Couldn't they put in a mini-hi with switchback ramp at edgeley road and keep it a flag stop? You could have a small "kiss and ride" and a marked pedestrian crossing.

Thoughts??
  by Limited-Clear

The used to be a station at stony hill rd called roelofs, it closed down.....
  by trackwelder

the wset trenton line already has more than enough stops. i grew up in fairless hills, equidistant from the woodbourne and levittown stops. i used to take the train in to the city a lot, and i always went from levittown because the NEC is so much faster. adding stops to the r3 will only chase away casual riders.
  by Matthew Mitchell

If ridership would be so low as for you to be talking about making it a flag stop, it would be too low to justify constructing and operating a station. I'd say you'd need a potential ridership of at least 300 boards/day (around the system median) to make a new station worth considering.
  by amtrakhogger

25Hz wrote:I have been wondering for years about the large gap between woodbourne and yardley stations. Couldn't they put in a mini-hi with switchback ramp at edgeley road and keep it a flag stop? You could have a small "kiss and ride" and a marked pedestrian crossing.

Thoughts??
Do you mean Edgewood Rd?
  by askclifford

Matthew Mitchell wrote:If ridership would be so low as for you to be talking about making it a flag stop, it would be too low to justify constructing and operating a station. I'd say you'd need a potential ridership of at least 300 boards/day (around the system median) to make a new station worth considering.
Next Stop, Link Belt!!
  by 25Hz

amtrakhogger wrote:Do you mean Edgewood Rd?
Yes. Phone auto-corrected it. :\

Perhaps the stony hill road idea is better and it seems more "in the middle", and edgewood is closer to yardley station.

I dunno bout 300 a day, some NJT stations get less than that. It's right in the middle of a large residential area, and woodbourne rd is frequently choked with traffic.

And as for equidistant between woodbourne and levittown stations, levittown station has no connection to this area i'm talking about and if you don't have a car or limited driving type person then it's not remotely an option. It isn't about going to philly super ultra mega special fast, it's about regional connectivity.

Could a mod change it to edgewood road please? :)
  by 25Hz

askclifford wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:If ridership would be so low as for you to be talking about making it a flag stop, it would be too low to justify constructing and operating a station. I'd say you'd need a potential ridership of at least 300 boards/day (around the system median) to make a new station worth considering.
Next Stop, Link Belt!!
Fortuna comes to mind as well. ;)
  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:
askclifford wrote:
Next Stop, Link Belt!!
Frankford Junction
  by nomis

25Hz wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:Do you mean Edgewood Rd?
Yes. Phone auto-corrected it. :\

Perhaps the stony hill road idea is better and it seems more "in the middle", and edgewood is closer to yardley station.

I dunno bout 300 a day, some NJT stations get less than that. It's right in the middle of a large residential area, and woodbourne rd is frequently choked with traffic.

And as for equidistant between woodbourne and levittown stations, levittown station has no connection to this area i'm talking about and if you don't have a car or limited driving type person then it's not remotely an option. It isn't about going to philly super ultra mega special fast, it's about regional connectivity.
If you can find 299 of your closest friends and convince them that you will all use the station and will all walk to it, then go for it.

PS. this is septa not NJT ... Nonetheless, I dont think NJT would be willing to go through the expense to open a new station on an existing route for less than 300 riders.
  by nomis

scotty269 wrote:
25Hz wrote:
askclifford wrote:
Next Stop, Link Belt!!
Frankford Junction
Andalusia ...
  by westernfalls

25Hz wrote: Perhaps the stony hill road idea is better and it seems more "in the middle"
What a novel idea, and it could be named Roelofs.
Sweep off the old platform and maybe it would be ADA-grandfathered.
  by rslitman

The problem with SEPTA is that it uses old infrastructure, with "ready made" train stations. However this has led to a reluctance to add new stations (although it hasn't kept them from closing stations, such as Fulmoor and Fellwick, whose spellings I may have just butchered). This means that SEPTA has not been able to be proactive to new centers of civilization, such as large groups of houses that have been built in various places.

I posted here not too long ago that in Bucks County especially, there are libraries and train stations that share the names of communities in which they are located, but in almost every instance, the two are not in walking distance of each other. Examples include Warminster, Langhorne, Levittown, and Yardley. The Yardley-Makefield Library is not in walking distance of the Yardley train station, but it is oh-so-close to the rail line at Edgewood Road.

I realize the problems inherent in setting up a station at Edgewood Road, and I don't expect it to happen, but it would at least bring one more library to walking distance of a SEPTA Regional Rail Line.
  by trackwelder

25Hz wrote:
it's got quite a bit actually. if you're taking the train to work, it has to take a reasonable amount of time. if the option is getting up at 6 and taking the r7 versus getting up at 530 to take the r3 and still getting there twenty minutes later, what would you take.

yea, we're all train geeks here who ride the rails for s**** and giggles on the weekends, when going to work every day it's the shortest ride possible that matters.
  by Matthew Mitchell

jtaeffner wrote:yea, we're all train geeks here who ride the rails for s**** and giggles on the weekends, when going to work every day it's the shortest ride possible that matters.
Uh, there are definitely people here who take the train to work every day. We might take a extra trip here and there or plan a trip to see something interesting along the way (like going to Villanova via the P&W instead of the Paoli line), but a fast, reliable trip to work and back home is priority one.