Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by lstone19

So, 2210, the 7:36 Milw West arrival, was in at 7:28 this morning. So getting me to work eight minutes early does not make up for getting me home 20 minutes late last night.

I took 2239, the 5:23 Milw West departure, home last night. Lights out for the transition from ground power to train power as per normal. But then they stayed out. 5:23 came and went. 5:31 came and I found we were the only train left in the north side of CUS (except for two PVs on 17!). The good part of being the only train was when I heard an engine coming up to speed at about 5:37, it had to be ours. Lights on and finally we were out of there about 5:40.

Lost a few more between CUS and Roselle to be down 20 at Roselle. Normally we go out 3 all the way to B-12 but I figured it would be different as we normally meet an EB between Mannheim and Bensenville. Sure enough, over to 2 at Galewood. Approaching Franklin Park, we passed 2241 (5:27 departure) - I had figured they would let him go ahead as that put him down about 10 minutes. But where was that EB. Oops, he was late too and sitting at Franklin Park since our 2 to 1 cross and his 2 to 3 cross share track for a few feet (although why not cross us over to 1 east of the CN where there are two more 2 to 1 crossovers to support that junction).

Off at Roselle and I figured all was well with the engine. Except an hour later, we were at dinner at Pilot Pete's at the Schaumburg Airport where I saw 2250 pass. I'm pretty sure 2250 uses the equipment from 2239 (if not, it would be a very short three minute turn from 2243 but I doubt it). Except 2250 was not our train - it was a six car train. The six car trains (used outbound on 2233 and 2235), like all good little trains, are supposed to be in bed for the night by 6:30 (although I understand they do get to come out and play on Sundays).

2250 was on-time so I'm guessing that although the mechanics got the engine running, they wanted to work on it more and so they left one of the six car sets out to replace it. 2239 to 2250 is a turn at Big Timber. So I wonder if they did two extra Elgin-Big Timber and reverse deadheads or had one of the runs change trains enroute at Elgin.
Last edited by lstone19 on Wed May 11, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by doepack

lstone19 wrote:2250 was on-time so I'm guessing that although the mechanics got the engine running, they wanted to work on it more and so they left one of the six car sets out to replace it. 2239 to 2250 is a turn at Big Timber. So I wonder if they did two extra Elgin-Big Timber and reverse deadheads or had one of the runs change trains enroute at Elgin.
I'd guess the latter. Assuming 2235's equipment was used to take over the schedule, that would be an easy transfer at Elgin since that equipment is stored on the storage track adjacent to the platform along the east end of the Elgin depot, next to MT 1. Then again, for all we know, they very well could have pulled the other six car set (from 2233) out, then backed it into the station before heading east, which wouldn't have surprised me; Metra is notorious for making strange, head-scratching moves like that sometimes, which don't always appear to make sense. But if 2250 operated on time anyway, that's all that matters. Whatever gets it done...