• DuPont trainset at Waterville

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

A quick Google search for "TRANSCAER" (which is painted on all of the cars in addition to the DuPont logo) reveals the web site http://www.transcaer.org/ which has the following to say:
TRANSCAER® (Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response) is a voluntary national outreach effort that focuses on assisting communities prepare for and respond to a possible hazardous material transportation incident.
and
Norfolk Southern and E. I. DuPont will be teaming up to present training at a number of locations during 2008. This training is intended to assist emergency response personnel in responding to a railroad emergency.
  by gokeefe

The DuPont train is there for Fire Department and HAZMAT team training. I belong to a local volunteer fire department in this part of Maine and had the opportunity to go. Couldn't make it work with the schedule.

gokeefe
  by Cowford

Several companies have these tank car trainers: BASF, GATX, and Dow come to mind. You'll notice that there are quite a few "domes" (technically protective housings) on top of the cars. They illustrate the typical valve arrangements that you would encounter on cars assigned to haul chlorine, propane, muriatic acid, ethylene oxide, etc... I don't think this car has it, but a few have doors to permit entrance to the tank interior, so that you can see all the fittings, etc. within. The converted reefer houses is a classroom... GATX's is painted to look like a schoolhouse, complete with painted-on windows and clapboarding - first class! If you go to google images and search for "GATX tank trainer," it pops right up.