• Driving In Philly...Getting As Bad As New York!!!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

I just returned home from visiting friends in Philly's Chinatown. As I was driving through Center City, both going to and from, at times I was wondering "Am I in Philly, or Midtown Manhattan???". The traffic was gridlock! I was on Chestnut Street, coming from West Philly and it took me a good 30 minutes to get from University City to 11th Street. It wasn't uncommon to wait through 2 or 3 red lights at some intersections! I've noticed over the last several weeks the sharp increase of traffic in Center City, with traffic almost at a standstill on both Walnut and Chestnut Streets. Even Woodland Ave. in Southwest Philly is often slow-going, as it was tonight. I remember not too long ago that driving in Philly was a breeze. Now it's almost as bad as driving in New York City! What could be causing the sudden spike in traffic in Philadelphia??? Maybe I should start taking SEPTA more often if this persists!!!

by Lucius Kwok

It's the Flower Show. It only happens one week each year. (The Auto Show also generates much traffic, also one week each year.)

by jfrey40535

I was on the Warminster line Saturday and was surprised to see a 4 car consist going into Center City. Very full as well. Also had people going downtown for St. Patrick's day related events.

A rare thumbs up for SEPTA for actually anticipating additional demand and having the equipment there to support it!

by whovian

Yeah, everything is going to have a four car consist for the duration of the flower show.

by jfrey40535

That being said, I was surprised to see the Budd Cars sitting at Roberts yesterday.