• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by roberttosh

As of Yesterday, the new siding at Scarborough still not in service. Looks like the track is just about done, with just some sweeping of the ballast still needed. From the Rt 207 overpass saw equipment working near or at the new switch near Winnicks Neck. Signal lights still not up at CPF 201. Saw some good sized trains around Portland the past couple of days, with what I believe was a very long EDNM stopping for lunch just west of Congress st, nose to nose with what I believe was a canned EDWA with PAR painted 511 up front. Wish I had a camera for that one....

by greenlawffemt

Any word on how progress is coming.

Thanks, Isaac

by truman

I rode 688 last Friday. We went in the hole at Wells for 687, then backed out the east end, and made the station stop. The new signals there were not yet working.
Work on the Haverhill bridge continues to hinder on time performance, as does a certain green dispatcher at dist. 2. He held 685 and ran three T trains and I think, a westbound around them that same week.

by cpf354

According to NNEPRA's Patricia Quinn in a published report, dated Oct 25, the work is "within weeks" of completion, and ST, through the personal intervention of President David Fink, allowed the fifth round trip when sufficeient work was complete, rather than forcing them to wait for full completion. Quinn said the NNEPRA is very pleased with the current working realtionship with ST. (ANR&P Newsletter)
My, how times have changed! :wink:

by roberttosh

Anyone know if the new siding at Scarborough was ever put into service? A recent picture on Nerail showed the siding covered in snow, so am guessing it's not. Thanks.

by WildBill144

It's definitely not in service yet. As of this morning, there is still snow on it and the signals are turned sideways.

by MEC407

The new interlocking in Wells is still not in service yet, either.

by jbvb

I've been astonished by how long the Lawrence - Plaistow work has been stalled in pretty much the same state (track & signals installed but something lacking before they can be put into service); This seems a pretty strong indication it's GTI management and scheduling rather than the MBTA or NNEPRA.

by truman

jbvb wrote:I've been astonished by how long the Lawrence - Plaistow work has been stalled in pretty much the same state (track & signals installed but something lacking before they can be put into service); This seems a pretty strong indication it's GTI management and scheduling rather than the MBTA or NNEPRA.
I'm just trying to understand here, as most of the Lawrence-Plastow track is MBTA territory, how is the lack of progress the fault of Guilford/Pan Am management?

by mick

Part of the holdup is the MBTA
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by truman

Yeah? Wow. That is a S***storm waiting to happen. Wow. I'm trying to get a handle on that.

So, facing east, which track is track one? Still the track on the right?

by mick

No, facing East
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

by jbvb

>>jbvb wrote:
>> I've been astonished by how long the Lawrence - Plaistow work has
>> been stalled in pretty much the same state (track & signals installed
>> but something lacking before they can be put into service); This seems
>> a pretty strong indication it's GTI management and scheduling rather
>> than the MBTA or NNEPRA.
>
> I'm just trying to understand here, as most of the Lawrence-Plastow
> track is MBTA territory, how is the lack of progress the fault of
> Guilford/Pan Am management?

GTI is doing the work. The signals are to be controlled by GTI's
dispatcher. The materials have been visibly on site for most of 2007,
and all the major components are now installed. So IMO it isn't MBTA
or NNEPRA being slow in ordering or paying, instead they let GTI write
the contract so they can postpone work till their signal people have
slack time. If I'm right, both projects are at a standstill till Summer 2008.
Just like a home contractor who takes his cut off your material deposit
and vanishes for three months.

by truman

mick wrote:No, facing East the track on the right would be Track Two. The difference is ST milepost zero is in Mattawamkeag, Maine, so their track numbering starts from there, and goes west. MBCR milepost zero is North Station, their track numbering starts there.

Okay, my mind is still in the old days when outbound from Boston track one was on the right.

jbvb, winter IS traditionally the slow time for construction projects. I know that doesn't make it right, and the other projects started last summer should have been finished by now, but hey, its GRS.

by jbvb

In the past couple of weeks GTI has put some of the new signals between Bradford and Lawrence into service. No bi-directional operation yet; the heads for reverse direction are still facing the weeds. I need to look closer at the Xovers E of the new Lawrence station, as it isn't clear if switch machines are installed. And the W end of the hi-level platform is still unfinished.