• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Rail work to cause traffic delays in Portland:
Portland Press Herald wrote:Significant traffic backups are expected in Portland Wednesday and Thursday when materials are delivered for the Downeaster rail extension.
Read more at: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine-P ... esday.html
  by KSmitty

Gokeefe,

So they didn't do an environmental study until after they already had done the work and were running trains? And then the lack of an environmental study cost them the ability to expand to Brunswick initially?

And now they have to go back and study the environmental impacts of changes made close to 10 years ago to be able to get money in the future?

I agree with you, infrastructure improvements do drive economic growth, in many cases. And I do like the idea of expanded and improved DE service. However, I still think 600K for an environmental study on an area that was rebuilt years ago is a waste. Their have been no complaints about environmental effects, atleast not that I've heard. Why can't they just let let it be and use the money for actual work?

Its like when the state commissions a million dollar study to see how to save money...
  by bmvguye39

There ought to be an across the board grandfathering type of exemption that allows the reactivation of previously existing right of way without any additional environmental crap to be performed as the railroad and its right of ways were there long before the environmentalists. Besides just think how much faster some of these projects would get finished and the improved economic benefits realized, if those monies were available to other projects and for additional improvements instead of going to the consultants.
  by NRGeep

bmvguye39 wrote:There ought to be an across the board grandfathering type of exemption that allows the reactivation of previously existing right of way without any additional environmental crap to be performed as the railroad and its right of ways were there long before the environmentalists.
Henry David Thoreau was around...
  by BM6569

How long may this study take? Hopefully not too long since it IS an existing right of way that originally had two tracks.
  by gokeefe

KSmitty wrote:Gokeefe,

So they didn't do an environmental study until after they already had done the work and were running trains? And then the lack of an environmental study cost them the ability to expand to Brunswick initially?

And now they have to go back and study the environmental impacts of changes made close to 10 years ago to be able to get money in the future?
Smitty,

Brunswick is a good example. Although the line was already in use for freight operations (albeit only once or twice a month) an environmental study was necessary because ground was going to be disturbed in multiple locations. Brunswick's environmental study was submitted as part of the application that got them the TIGER grant.

For Portland they are contemplating making additional changes that would 'disturb' substantial portions of terrain, to an extent that an environmental review is required. As mentioned 'current use' makes the contemplated use a non-issue. The project will add/rebuild track in sections that haven't had it since well befor e the passage of the Clean Water Act (which is one of the major laws in play).

Using Brunswick as a yard stick studies of this size and scope have been taking about a year to a year and a half. Again, since there is already an existing right of way and current use these kinds of things just don't take very long at all. Essentially what NNEPRA and PAR are documenting with the study is that there are in fact no environmental issues to be concerned about.
  by KSmitty

Thanks Gokeefe,

I now "understand" whats going on, though, I still don't agree 100% with spending so much money on a study. If it must be done to bring the DE and its route up to federal requirements and in turn give NNERPA a better chance at funding in the future, then I support it fully.
  by MEC407

If you've ever wanted to see what happens when a rail breaks and the trains have to keep rolling, here's your chance. It happened a few days ago in Newmarket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbdWIwOVojo
  by MEC407

Malfunction delays traffic delays by a day:
Portland Press Herald wrote:A 2,000-foot-long train carrying rails to extend Amtrak Downeaster service from Portland to Brunswick never made it to Portland on Wednesday, so drivers were spared the long traffic delays that city officials had told them to expect.

But today, drivers will want to avoid railroad crossings in the city.
Read more at: http://www.pressherald.com/news/malfunc ... 10-28.html

and also at: http://www.pressherald.com/news/Train-c ... tland.html
  by gokeefe

The last post by MEC 407 kind of made me wonder when the last time would have been that rails through Portland where replaced wholesale. Given that jointed rail was used by the MEC well into its later years I am at a loss for an answer.
  by roberttosh

Do they cut the rail at the road crossings? I don't know how else cars could get over the rail, unless of course they install it right as they're offloading it which seems doubtful?
  by MEC407

Work Delayed To Expand Portland Train Tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ye9pvCNKc
  by pinwizard1971

I shot video of CWR being offloaded at Blackstrap Road in Portland yesterday. It's a fascinating process! I chatted a bit with some of the Pan Am workers as well as a railroad police officer, the first I had ever encountered. All were very friendly and happy to talk about the whole process. Hit the link for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt1cHKOxrQc