• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BM6569

barriers so you cant drive around the crossing gates
  by gokeefe

The town has to petition the FRA. In order for it to be approved the crossing with no horn must remain below a certain risk threshold that is calculated based on train frequency, vehicular and pedestrian traffic and existing grade crossing safety features. If the crossing will exceed the threshold then the town must submit a plan to install certain additional safety features in order to be approved. The latest innovation in this area has been the use of small islands in the median to contain traffic behind the crossing gates.

Otherwise the far more expensive option are four quadrant gates and/or additional warning lights.
  by pnolette

Just a quick change of subject.Has PAR started working on the nrw siding in Falmouth?
  by gokeefe

Work is expected to begin soon.
  by swist

Bulldozers and some spreading of black stone of some kind going on as I passed there this morning. Sub-ballast?
  by gokeefe

Probably ...

And so begins the first restoration of double track (passing siding plus main) of any significant amount on the former Maine Central in many many years.
  by newpylong

Except for two years or so ago when the Lower Road was rebuilt, and before that when the Portland Division was rebuilt.
  by gokeefe

Well ... I was wondering about that ... Did they add a passing siding? I feel like they didn't ...
  by Backshophoss

When is the next round of the tie replacement project?
  by johnpbarlow

From the Coastal Journal:

http://coastaljournal.com/2017/10/24/br ... -workshop/

Excerpt:
The workshop’s objective is to examine ways to reduce noise from train operations along the railway corridor in town...
I think the short answer is be prepared to spend taxpayer $. Good luck to Brunswickians!
  by newpylong

"Planned topics for the workshop include reviewing whether Brunswick’s noise ordinance applies to the train’s operation"

It is amazing anyone wants to do business in this region any more. How about, you live next to railroad tracks, they were there long before you were, and your property values reflects your proximity to RR tracks. This goes above and beyond a conversation with the railroad to see if they can be a good neighbor and reasonably reduce idling in specific areas very close to houses.
  by Rockingham Racer

johnpbarlow wrote:From the Coastal Journal:

http://coastaljournal.com/2017/10/24/br ... -workshop/

Excerpt:
The workshop’s objective is to examine ways to reduce noise from train operations along the railway corridor in town...
I think the short answer is be prepared to spend taxpayer $. Good luck to Brunswickians!
I wonder what they all did in Maine Central days? Even more trains then than now. :wink:
  by Mikejf

Rockingham Racer wrote:
I wonder what they all did in Maine Central days? Even more trains then than now. :wink:
Pretty sure the ones complaining did not live there then. It is foolish if you buy property next to railroad tracks and expect anything other than trains to run on said tracks.
  by gokeefe

I can assure everyone based on some recent research on Maine railroads that there were plenty of complaints "back in the day" about train horns/whistles. It was about as common back then (early 1900s to 1960s) as it is today.
  by Rockingham Racer

Interesting.