• Double-decker Indicator Lights

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RC '75

Hi,

From reading many of the great posts, I have learned what the indicator lights represent on the (M1, M3 & M7) fleets. I have just ridden a push-pull double-decker for the first time and the curiosity has appeared again.

Does anyone know what the indicator lights on the outside and the inside of the new double-decker trains represent?

When riding inside, I noticed both green and red door lights on the ceiling of the vestibule area. Green I believe is for door open and red is for door closed.

I also noticed both a red and yellow light above each door. I think the yellow light says it flashes if the door is malfunctioning. Anyone know what the red light represents?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....
  by N340SG

RC '75,

Although I don't work on the bilevels, I have observed bilevels at Jamaica. I think you have the red and green light functions backwards. Red light is on when the door is open, and green light is on when that door is closed properly.
The other red light inside the car that you mentioned can only serve one of two functions. It either is a door open indicator, or an alert that the door is closing, or about to close, a la M-7. You would need to observe if it is on the entire time a door is open, or only flashes as the door is closing.

Anyone more familiar with the bilevels than I am, feel free to chime in.

Tom