• Double Deck Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

The latest batch 916-919 does NOT have electric doors!!! So now I am sure we will see solid K car sets :-)

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

really, are u sure about that?? maybe those are the cars the RIDOT paied for,

by sery2831

Yes, these cars are set up for manual door operations :-) Hopefully this will be a trend for the rest to come!

Also this weekend, they created an 8 car consist for the Polar Express out of Beverly!!!

by Diverging Route

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:really, are u sure about that?? maybe those are the cars the RIDOT paied for,
The RIDOT did not pay for any specific cars. They funded the MBTA in the amount of five cars. The additional five cars purchased (over the original 28 planned) will be in the "pool" and used when and where needed.

Just think of the operational difficulties if there was a single five-car set of bilevels (all with lavs!) that was restricted to running on the Providence line.

by dudeursistershot

whats the need for electric doors? why do some cars have them while others dont?

by AznSumtinSumtin

The cars with electric doors are mostly used on the Old Colony line. The Middleborough, Plymouth, and Kingston lines are the only lines where all the station platforms are high enough for wheelchairs. All other lines have at least a few stations where the platforms are too low for wheel chairs. So the purpose of electric doors is to make it easier and faster to open all the doors of trains that run on the Old Colony line because no one will fall three feet to their doom when all the doors are open and unattended.

by railfan101

sery2831 wrote:Yes, these cars are set up for manual door operations :-) Hopefully this will be a trend for the rest to come!

Also this weekend, they created an 8 car consist for the Polar Express out of Beverly!!!

Was this an 8 car double decker set or just the normal north side equipment?

by sery2831

"Normal" set, 2 german cars and 6 300/1600 series cars...

by railfan101

I had a chance to take a ride in one of the 900 K cars yesterday. It was very nice and even smoother than the 1700/700 series.

by njtmnrrbuff

I will be heading up to have a tea party by continuing my mileage on the commuter rail system. I will have to look out for the 900 K seies cars. What is significant about them? Last year in Boston, I did a roundtrip to Needham Hts and the windows of my car were literally filfty.

by Robert Paniagua

I had a chance to take a ride in one of the 900 K cars yesterday. It was very nice and even smoother than the 1700/700 series.

Yeah, me too while riding the Old Colony routes trying to beat the Red Line, and boy are those cars modern or what? They also have an emergency PA system for passenger use, and the notorious restroom (maybe they have a water bubbler inside, coudln't find a "water fountain" in the main area)

by CSX Conductor

Speaking of cleanliness, there is a 700 series car that had been tagged with a large amount of graffitti covering windows and such on the south side. Hopefully it can be removed.

As for a water bubble on a train, yuck!!!! I wouldn't drink out of it Robert. :P

by Robert Paniagua

Speaking of cleanliness, there is a 700 series car that had been tagged with a large amount of graffitti covering windows and such on the south side. Hopefully it can be removed.

Yeah, I saw that car not too long ago and it had grafitti all over the sie of it, I believe I saw it on the Old Colony Lines. Reminded me of the NYCTA Subway grafitti plague of the 1980s. At least I've never seen a Red/Blue/Orange Line train with grafitti.

As for the bubbler, I've drank out of the ones at an Amtrak coach car, but I guess I'll have to side with you here that's a little yucky......

by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Speaking of cleanliness, there is a 700 series car that had been tagged with a large amount of graffitti covering windows and such on the south side. Hopefully it can be removed.

Yeah, I saw that car not too long ago and it had grafitti all over the sie of it, I believe I saw it on the Old Colony Lines. Reminded me of the NYCTA Subway grafitti plague of the 1980s. At least I've never seen a Red/Blue/Orange Line train with grafitti.

As for the bubbler, I've drank out of the ones at an Amtrak coach car, but I guess I'll have to side with you here that's a little yucky......
There was an Orange Line car tagged with yellow paint on a couple windows -- was on it Saturday morning. Just surprising, since outside graffitti is so rare on the T (now, scratchitti and markers on the inside, that's another story.)

by njtmnrrbuff

I will probably be in Boston the first week of 2006. I'm sure I will make a trip on the Old Colony Division. Just sad that vandalism happens to happen.