• DOT Inspector General Says Deferral Strategy Fails Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Rhinecliff

Absolutely.

We have all heard that Amtrak's long-haul trains account for approximately $300 million of Amtrak's current $1.2 billion dollar annual subsidy. Taking that at face value, I would say they are an absolute bargain.

But would Amtrak really save $300 million a year by canning them? Putting aside the labor protections, which Amtrak could buy its way out of in a couple years, I really question whether, when the labor protection expenses are cleared, Amtrak's bottom line subsidy would be reduced by $300 million a year by discontinuing the long-hauls.

Just about every major station that Amtrak operates would still be needed to support the remaining "corridor" services. How many maintenance facilities could Amtrak really close?

Mr. Mead and the IG's office has never shown me anything to suggest that they understand Amtrak's fixed costs. Sorry Ms. Bly. I certainly do not wish to disparage anyone at the IG's office. But I am not impressed with their understanding of Amtrak's bottom line. Nor am I impressed with their undestanding of the practical realities of Amtrak's operations. The IG's office would do well to travel by Amtrak a little bit, and visit with its passengers and front-line employees. This stuff can't be learned in the beltway. It really can't.
Last edited by Rhinecliff on Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I learned of this reviewing another board.

If your system supports Microsoft Media Player, you'll love this collection of misinfo, and possibly even lies;

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php ... 2-Nov-2004

Scroll down to find my obvious reference.

The funny thing is that I always thought National Public Radio was a friend of Amtrak. After all, they are "uh, not exactly' friends of Bill O'Rielley and Sean Hannity.

by LI Loco

That myth about long distance routes doesn't want to die. On many, cost recovery is better than for some of the corridors in the Midwest and West Coast.
  by Gilbert B Norman

However, Mr. Loco, as "Ms Bly" has often noted here at the Forum, the LD's are "in the same boat' as are other commercial users of public transportation facilities.

'Don't run 'em; don't pay', and as far as any Class One is likely concerned "see if we care'.

Apparently, there are no 'guarantees' or "minima' in any existing contractual relationship between Amtrak and the Class Ones. There were none 'back in my day', or at least with the MILW.
  by updrumcorpsguy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
The funny thing is that I always thought National Public Radio was a friend of Amtrak. After all, they are "uh, not exactly' friends of Bill O'Rielley and Sean Hannity.
Strictly speaking, the report in question (which I agree with Mr. Norman was shockingly sloppy at best) was done by a show called "Marketplace", which is produced by an organization called American Public Media. It was aired on an NPR show called "Day to Day" and is part of their daily business report.

I have generally found NPR's in-house reporting on Amtrak to be "fair and balanced", if that term even means anything anymore after Fox adopted it.

Tess Vigland (The reporter in question) seemed to have done nothing more on the story than to read the executive summary of the report and called someone at NARP.

by Rhinecliff

Well, it appears to me that the beltway functionaries have framed a showdown: Picture Mr. Gunn being questioned by some Neocon free-market Congressman from the heartland about Amtrak playing Russian roullette. I predict the experience will prove too much even for Mr. Gunn.
Last edited by Rhinecliff on Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

by updrumcorpsguy

Rhinecliff wrote:Well, it appears to me that the beltway functionaries have framed a showdown: Picture Mr. Gunn being questioned by some Neocon free-market Congressman from the heatland about Amtrak playing Russian roullette. I predict the experience will prove too much even for Mr. Gunn.
Actually, if it comes to that I think Gunn is actually the person to go up against that hypothetical Congressman. However, I think that the "political capital" of the neocon/GOP agenda will most likely be used on a replacement for Justice Rehnquist and Social Security reform.

by MattOram

I'd like to second Mr. Drumcorps and add that Amtrak is, for Washington, the all-purpose obfuscation device. As pointed out many times, one may decry the "wasteful" Amtrak subsidy (thus, looking like the concerned cost-cutter) while directing the public's attention away from several bottomless pit defense and other (say, big dig) projects. Also, freight RR's contribute a lot of campaign $$; let's face it, they can use the slots for their traffic. Any politician who opens his mouth in protest of Amtrak is assuring himself of future RR Co contributions. However, this motive is obscured by bleating about how wasteful "old technology" transportation is. It is important that we continue to counter the blather; else, the oft-stated lie becomes truth. Pardon my rant.