• Does SEPTA still honor airline tickets as train fare?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by One of One-Sixty

I am thinking about flying into Philly and taking the RR to Trenton to get to NYC.

So I was wondering does SEPTA still honor airline tickets a fare on the R1 to and from 30th St?

by pennengineer

I was not aware that they ever were accepted. I certainly have always had to pay (or present my transpass), and everyone else on the train from my observation always pays. If I were you I'd bring $5.50 with you...

by jsc

the only cross-honouring set up that I'm aware of on SEPTA is the long standing policy to permit AMTRAK ticket holders passage on regional trains between 30th and Market-East. Of course, try finding that policy in print somewhere...

by pennengineer

Of course, try to find a SEPTA conductor actually collecting tickets/fares between 30th and Suburban/Market East.

What we have is essentially an unofficial fareless square on regional rail from Market East to University City.

by PARailWiz

I've never seen them go around and check tickets between 30th and Market East, but often if someone tries to get off between there the conductor stops them and collects the fare.

by One of One-Sixty

Thanks, I'm gonna call them in a little bit, now that I think back on it, I think it was some kinda promotion they was having.

by pennengineer

PARailWiz wrote:I've never seen them go around and check tickets between 30th and Market East, but often if someone tries to get off between there the conductor stops them and collects the fare.
Maybe you saw them do that once, but I've taken short hops between University City and Suburban at least 15 times in calendar-2005 and have never been asked to pay a fare, present a ticket, or present a transpass, be it on the train or upon exiting. (For what it's worth, I get a transpass every month, so it's not like I'm actually freeloading--just saying that it's doable.)

by Matthew Mitchell

You sure you were thinking about SEPTA and not Amtrak? I think Amtrak had some kind of joint fare deal with one of the smaller airlines (Midway?) during the brief period they operated to PHL.

by SCB2525

I was actually yelled at when getting on a train at Suburban to Market East to get something to eat before going to Warminster. The conductor by default assumed I didn't have a ticket and said something to the effect of "its not a free ride even if its one stop", after which I proceeded to show him my ticket.

by Silverliner II

SCB2525 wrote:I was actually yelled at when getting on a train at Suburban to Market East to get something to eat before going to Warminster. The conductor by default assumed I didn't have a ticket and said something to the effect of "its not a free ride even if its one stop", after which I proceeded to show him my ticket.
You are more likely to be asked for a fare between Market East and 30th Street if you are on a train that does not have a crew change at Suburban. I've seen conductors or trainmen ask passengers for fares either before boarding or when detraining at the CC stations in that case.

by JeffK

pennengineer wrote:... I've taken short hops between University City and Suburban at least 15 times in calendar-2005 and have never been asked to pay a fare, present a ticket, or present a transpass, be it on the train or upon exiting...
I haven't taken the line recently, but my experience was that tickets were not collected on about 90% of the trips I took. The other 10% were very unpleasant, though. There was always some overzealous conductor who would look at a family loaded down with baggage and headed for 30th Street, and never once ask them if they were taking Amtrak. Unless they were familiar with the fare-exchange policy or another passenger spoke up*, they'd get dinked for $3.50 apiece. Anything to help close the budget gap, I suppose.

* Yes, I was often that "other passenger"!

by SEPTALRV9072

That CCT fare is over priced in the first place. I mean $3.50 to travel intermediately in the CCCT zone while it's only $2.50 to travel within 1 or two zones and $3 for 3 or more. What a rip.

by One of One-Sixty

Matthew Mitchell wrote:You sure you were thinking about SEPTA and not Amtrak? I think Amtrak had some kind of joint fare deal with one of the smaller airlines (Midway?) during the brief period they operated to PHL.
It was SEPTA, it was a promotion they was doing when I think it was American Airlines finished the renovations/rebuild of the terminal.

by Launcher

I did get asked for a fare once, but I've done the CC trip often with no questions. I had a monthly and I appreciated the conductor making sure there were no freeloaders who should have been paying $1.30 to make the same trip faster by The El (or the late SPREE bus lol).

by JeffK

Launcher wrote:... (passengers) should have been paying $1.30 to make the same trip faster by The El.
Agree that the El is much faster and cost-effective, but remember that it is not easily accessible if you're carrying a pile of luggage, have kids in tow, etc. Plus at 30th Street you have to go outside in bad weather thanks to the brain-dead types who closed off the connection between the El concourse and the train station. The RRD lines have elevators and a ramp with a direct path to the Amtrak level.

SEPTA might be better off if they lowered the CC fare to say a buck-fifty but enforced it more equitably.

Also, when I was in Stockholm last year I saw that stairways in most Metro stations had a small ramp on the side that would accommodate a wheeled suitcase. It took away maybe 10" of stair width but made hauling luggage a heck of a lot easier. No doubt any attempt to do the same here would generate protests, bring out the DN reporters, yadda, yadda.