• Do you like the MBTA's new switcher or the 1921?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Which livery do you prefer?

MBTA # 1921 in old B&M livery
67%
MBTA # 3247 in current MBTA color scheme
33%

by octr202

That cab number should have gone on the hood, or maybe in yellow in the purple area at the bottom of the cab. Or, Maybe just make it larger, and put it over the cab vent (I know, a shocking idea...).

I think, other than that, I like the purple and silver better on this unit than on the GP40MCs. Much sharper looking to me...

by CRail

where is 4237 now? I figure if im on the system soon then i can alter my travels in order to bump into the unit.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

its out there somewhere, lol probably at BET or rescuing dead trains :wink:

by RailBus63

I don't have a problem with 3247's paint scheme. The B&M has been honored by the 1921, and both NYC and NH have been done by Metro-North and ConnDOT. In fact, ConnDOT has singlehandedly killed my enthusiam for 'new units painted in 40-year old schemes'. A GE Genesis in the NH's McGinnis scheme? Please ... enough already.

JD
  by GP40MC1118

The 3247 is in BET for repairs. It's got one bad traction motor and some sort of pump problem related to the layover starting system.

As for the paint scheme, it looks better than I thought after seeing photos of it in the paint booth at Waterville. If only they had gone with the maroon or cranberry color instead of purple!

This paint scheme is a weird combination of schemes my co-worker and
myself submitted earlier this year. The rear end of the unit is not what we
wanted and the "z" jog in the silver band was intially rejected.

Oh well, I still think she looks good and can't wait to see her officially in service!

Dave
  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC1118 wrote:It's got one bad traction motor and some sort of pump problem related to the layover starting system.
Dave, this layover starting system that you are referring to, is it like CSXT's APU or K-9, for automatic engine shut-down/start-up?

In the day shot on NERAIL I noticed some sort of decal under the fireman's side window which looked like the ECO-Systems sticker on some CSXT units.
  by GP40MC1118

Yes, it is similar. I thought it was the one put out by Hotstart, but its another company. Don't know the name off-hand, but that decal looks very familar.

Dave