• DM30-AC When do they run electric?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by JayMan

When do the DM30s run in electric mode? Is it only in tunnels like MN's P32AC-DM's or further out in 3rd rail territory?

by SeldenJrFireman

Mostly when they are in the tunnels, but I have heard stories of the running on electric as far out as Hicksville. That is why they go *poof* every now and then. I have to find it, but I have a picture of a diesel that was on fire, and I think it was one of the LI engines.

by Mr Met

Yes it was 503 can you post it

by timz

Last time I saw a PtJeff-to-NYPenn dual-mode was at Mineola, in October, and both units were silent. Somebody said the inbound trains often make the switch that early, so that if the switch doesn't work they find out that much sooner.

Haven't seen many outbound dual-modes, but I suspect they shift to diesel shortly after leaving the tunnel.

by Nasadowsk

Theoretically, they're supposed to switch around Jamacia inbound, and Woodside outbound. I tend to think that realistically, they switch whenever the engineer feels like it, though they tend to switch near Jamacia.

When they first ran, they tended to switch at electric territory limits, and were both quiet and punchier in electric territory. Then a few melted down and they changed it to running on diesel as much as possible "To reduce fires". Which is kinda silly because if a train catches on fire in suburbia - at least you can get away from it. In the tunnels? Yikes. I have strong suspicion the NYFD really doesn't care for dual modes operating anywhere in NYC tunnels, and would rather they didn't...

by M1 9147

A more of a general answer is that any DM will switch west of Nassau, or Valley going west, and around Harold going east. This is to ensure that the diesel can properly switch upon arrival at Jamaica. If not, then a substitute train has to be taken out of Richmond Hill immediately to fill in. Lately, the Speonk to Penn AM run (2737) which used to run Montauk entirely through Hall, now runs via Central Branch to the Main now, so the switch that used to take place west of Port, now takes place west of Nassau like the 2 DM Port Jeff trains, and the one Oyster Bay train headed west to Penn Station.

by emfinite

I have witnessed many DM30ACs in electric mode passing Mineola westbound.

by SeldenJrFireman

Nasadowsk,

I don't think the FDNY has any problems with the dual mode engines. It makes me wonder, Amtrak has been doing it for how long, and I have never heard of them go poof. Why did they not get the same system as that diesel and put it in the DMs. Better yet, why didn't they just buy the same thing Metro North is using?

by ATK

Amtrak 713 went poof very shortly after it was delivered. Incident happened in the East River tubes, I believe when the unit was enroute into Penn from Sunnyside. She sat out of service for almost a year.

GE had a proposal into LIRR for P32ACDM's, however LIRR wanted GE to build the locomotives in New York State. GE said no way. So hence, Super Steel in Schenectady was born.

by bluebelly

I don't know where some of you get your info from. The switch from diesel to electric mode, and vice- versa is not done "when the engineer feels like it". Just about everything on the RR is governed by the Operating Rules and/or the Timetable Special Instructions. In this case it is the Special Instructions. Per the S.I.s E/B trains are required to complete the transition to Diesel mode upon exiting the East River Tunnels. W/B trains are required to make the transition to Electric mode at Port Interlocking if on the Montauk Branch or Nassau Interlocking if on the Mainline.

by bingdude

So do the DM's run on 3rd rail when they are assigned to Hunterspoint and LIC trains? I seem to remember the Prime Mover running when I got off at HP.
  by davelirrider

The morning Speonk - Penn (train# 2737) run does not switch to E-mode until around Woodside. The prime mover is still running after the Kew Gardens stop.

This has been going on for about the past three months now. Up until then, the switch used to take place somewhere between Divide and Nassau.

by M1 9147

The DM's if assigned to HPA, or LIC trains do not have to switch to E-mode since it does not enter the East River Tunnels. Now according to LIRR Operating Rules, ALL DUAL MODE TRAINS running to Penn Station must switch to E-mode before arriving at Jamaica whether it is at Port, Valley, or Nassau, this switch must be done to ensure the effectiveness of the schedule, and that there is no problems with that train. Now if there is, the train can be terminated at Jamaica, or diverted to Hunterspoint Ave., or Long Island City, or another DM train can substitute for it.