• DL&W Washington NJ info request

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by JDouglasFisher

Hello folks,

I'm doing some research on the Washington, NJ area. Although I have a general idea of what the layout of the area was (still somewhat evident today) I'd like some confirmation for modeling purposes.

A track schematic (even hand drawn) would be appreciated, as well as a description of operations in this area.

Some questions:

1.) For a while they were running commuter trains from Washington, but wondered if the equipment laid over in the yard or not.
2.) How many tracks in the yard?
3.) I understand the tower was part of the route 57 bridge?
4.) Any pics of the freight house and station?
5.) Area customers? (including small ones, like perhaps a lumber yard or coal dealer?

Geographically speaking this area lends itself well to modeling in a limited space, with the old road swinging northwest, and the branch to Phillipsburg running SW.

My main focus is from mid-50's to mid 60's.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

J....
  by NYS&W142Fan

Hello Doug,
If you get a copy or access to the book "The Lackawanna Railroad in NorthWest NJ" by Larry Lowenthal and William T. Greenberg, Jr, on page 120 and 121 it has the track layout of Washington in 1894. In addition in several differnt pages are pictures of the new station and other views. Between them you should be able to put together what you are looking for. If you cannot find the book, let me know and I'll see if I can scan them in and send to you. I think you can e-mail me via this forum. I'll keep a eye on this forum for your answer.

NYS&W142Fan
  by blockline4180

JDouglasFisher wrote:Hello folks,

I'm doing some research on the Washington, NJ area. Although I have a general idea of what the layout of the area was (still somewhat evident today) I'd like some confirmation for modeling purposes.

A track schematic (even hand drawn) would be appreciated, as well as a description of operations in this area.

Some questions:

1.) For a while they were running commuter trains from Washington, but wondered if the equipment laid over in the yard or not.
2.) How many tracks in the yard?
3.) I understand the tower was part of the route 57 bridge?
4.) Any pics of the freight house and station?
5.) Area customers? (including small ones, like perhaps a lumber yard or coal dealer?

Geographically speaking this area lends itself well to modeling in a limited space, with the old road swinging northwest, and the branch to Phillipsburg running SW.

My main focus is from mid-50's to mid 60's.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

J....

Hey, whats going on J??

I can't really help you out on most of the questions, but i believe now there are 3 sets of tracks in the yard... dont hold me too that, but it isnt much ... The customers in the area are BASF(tankers) just west of Railroad ave. and there is a very sporadic lumber company about 1/2 mile west on the old main as you head towards Oxford, but I dont know when the last time they got a car. You also have NYK logistics about 3 miles east near Port Murray. And then Nova Boralis(covered hoppers) a few more miles east of there...That is pretty much it between Washington and Hackettstown. Then just east of NJT's Hackettstown station is M&M mars and they still get green box cars, AFAIK.

Hope this helps.
  by wis bang

Every town in that area that was served by rail had at least one coal yard, you can always stick on in anyway...
  by ns3010

Even though it's present time, google earth helps to get a general idea.