• DL&W Logos and times of use

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by PassRailSavesFuel

I'm looking for a internet page which has examples of the many logos the DL&W used and when they used them. Are they on the internet yet?
Thanks........
  by CarterB

Here's one from 1881:

by blockline4180

You had the maroon and blue logos.. I have no idea when the blue ones were used beside the timetables..Anyone know??

by blockline4180

Another one, but with slightly different font and style

by Otto Vondrak

blockline4180 wrote:You had the maroon and blue logos.. I have no idea when the blue ones were used beside the timetables..Anyone know??

Different color does not mean different logo. Just means they picked a different ink to print with that round of timetables...
  by Otto Vondrak

CarterB wrote:Here's one from 1881:

Not really sure that qualifies as a "logo" as much as it is a design using interesting type. Logos are modern inventions of the early 20th century, usually involving picture and type and recognizable from a distance. The inventions of the 19th century, while interesting and ornate, were not always adopted as the official corporate logo. Many were created for timetable covers or advertisements and nothing more.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

blockline4180 wrote:Another one, but with slightly different font and style

What's the source of that logo? Could be someone's interpretation of a DLW logo, and not something actually produced by the railroad. I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck here, trying to figure out if the DLW actually had more than one logo in its history.

-otto-