• Difference Between The Comet Cars

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by One of One-Sixty

I have some diagrams of the Comet I Coach and Cab Cars, and I was wondering what is the difference between the Comet I, Comet II, Comet III and Comet IV cars.

I am looking for visual differences on the exterior.

Thanks.

by glennk419

You may be better served by putting this question on the NJT Rail forum. http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewforum.php?f=69 I'm sure you get plenty of information that you are looking for.

While Septa's cars were built by Bombardier, and there are two different generations of these cars, they are usually just referred to as push/pulls. The newer center door cars are actually more of a MetroNorth design since they were tacked on to a MN order.

NJT runs the different generation of Comets with the latest cars being Comet V's.

by sixty-six

I am very familiar with the NJT car differences, being a fan of them myself. I recently came over to the SEPTA side cause im interested in your NJT oddball, the SEPTA ALP-44 4308. Any questions, feel free to ask.

by SEPTALRV9072

You mean 2308.

It was given to SEPTA by ABB Traction as part of a settlement from the late delievery of the Norristown N5 cars.

by Irish Chieftain

The newer center door cars are actually more of a MetroNorth design since they were tacked on to a MN order
That's correct; they are more like the Shoreliner I and II (latter with center doors) than any of NJT's Comet fleet.

Original design by Pullman Standard, delivered to Erie Lackawanna Railroad in 1971 BTW.

by sixty-six

ah yes 2308. got it confused with our own numbering scheme :P

by One of One-Sixty

What are some good sites for pics of the RRD

by One of One-Sixty

How many cars does SchElPTA usually use in a normal consist?

by R3 Rider

Depends on where it's going and what time of day. I don't think I've ever seen a consist of more than six cars in the three years I've been riding.

by reldnahkram

R3 Rider wrote:Depends on where it's going and what time of day. I don't think I've ever seen a consist of more than six cars in the three years I've been riding.
I don't believe the platforms at 30th St. can handle more than six cars. Many suburban stations would have trouble with more than six as well.

by PARailWiz

I'm think i've seen seven cars in a push-pull. As for 30th Street, i'm sure that could handle more than six cars, at least eight. Open up those mysterious old outdoor platforms and you could handle even more there. You're right about many of the suburban stations not handling them - Miquon and Ivy Ridge can't, although SEPTA still stops there with the 6 car 7:32 AM out of Elm Street. Some of the stations look like they used to be longer...Norristown Transportation Center looks like it had platforms that were twice as long - you can still see them but they're fenced off.

by wagz

A good number of the farther Out R5 Throndale stations can't handle more than 3 cars. Many have a small wooden secondary platform constructed to service a fourth car. The last 2 cars of PP consists out there usually hang off the end of the station. I know for a fact that Wayne and Exton are like this. Quite an odd set up, considering that Overbrook could easily handle 6 cars, but everything that stops there are locals and probably wouldn't be longer than 4 cars.

by One of One-Sixty

Does the Cab cars have ditch lights?

by sixty-six

Comet Is and IBs, and the Comet III, IV, V, and VI (a safe assumption) all have ditch lights. The Comet II Cabs were rebuilt into trailers.

by One of One-Sixty

jimzim66 wrote:Comet Is and IBs, and the Comet III, IV, V, and VI (a safe assumption) all have ditch lights. The Comet II Cabs were rebuilt into trailers.
Before they was built into trailers did they ever have them installed?

SEPTA and Comet Is?