• Did Tiger Get His Shot?

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

thanks for the link Gilbert .
Certainly an opportunity for a golf / rail fan to kill two birds with one stone .

Reminds me of the time when i was playing schoolboy rugby ( a form of football ) , on a field next to the north island main trunk line .
As a frieght train approached i thought I'd be the only one stopping to watch it go by . luckily for me both teams stopped playing to wacth it , i guess at that age , anything big and loud impresses anybody . ( the big DX locos were koown for thier loud exhaust .

by David Benton

Michael Campbell may also have played on a course in Dannevirke , New Zealand , where the railway runs close to the golf course . I think Paraparaumu ( NZ open was played there ) is close too from memory .
The International rugby staduim in Dunedin New Zealand sits below the railway embankment through that town . Tranzrail ran an excursion train with its business car , and parked it on the embankment as a perk to coporate quests for a few games . Presumably with the cooperation of the rugby board .

I remember reading ( or seeing on tv ) a football ( socccer) staduim in England where the railway line actually tunnels through the maon grandstand . I think it was on tv , the commentator explaining why the stand was shaking ! .
I would be interested to hear of other sports gorunds around the world where the railway/ railroad passes close by . Presumably it is more common in crowded Europe , than the new world .

by Aa3rt

David, as a young lad growing up in northwestern Pennsylvania, I have memories of two fields where I played Little League baseball that were adjacent to railroad tracks. One was in Akeley, PA next to the New York Central's Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh line. I still remember seeing a northbound freight consisting of one GP-7, boxcar and caboose passing the field as my team (the Sugar Grove Merchants) was locked in an epic struggle with the Pine Grove Lions. IIRC, it was one of the only games we won all year, however my memory may have faded in the ensuing 40+ years-although I still remember the train clearly.

Another field where the railroad tracks bordered right field was in Clarendon, PA where the Pennsylvania (now Allegheny and Eastern) ran between Warren and Kane. The field in Akeley allowed us to watch the train pass while on the playing field, to watch trains in Clarendon you had to turn around, taking your eyes off the action. I still pass this field when I make my yearly visit to my parents-it is now weed grown and neglected, making me suspect that either the league has found better accomodations or that the youth of the area are too busy playing Nintendo or Game Boy to become involved in Little league baseball. :wink:

New York City's Yankee Stadium has a constant parade of subway trains passing in right field. Baltimore's Camden Yards Stadium has both light rail and a CSX line running right outside the stadium. The view of passing LRVs (how I HATE that term-what's wrong with trolleys?) is blocked by the old B&O warehouse. Trains to Oriole games ended a couple of years ago and I have no idea if these tracks see any service.

I know of at least one minor league stadium in the southeast, although which one escapes me at the moment, where a busy line passes along the right field wall.

Interesting topic! I hope we'll see more responses!
  by JimBoylan

The Baker Bowl, original home of the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania National League baseball team (the Phillies use Lifebouy Soap, and they still stink!), was right across Broad St. from the Huntington St., later North Broad St. station of the Reading Railroad.

Re:

by george matthews

David Benton wrote:Michael Campbell may also have played on a course in Dannevirke , New Zealand , where the railway runs close to the golf course . I think Paraparaumu ( NZ open was played there ) is close too from memory .
The International rugby staduim in Dunedin New Zealand sits below the railway embankment through that town . Tranzrail ran an excursion train with its business car , and parked it on the embankment as a perk to coporate quests for a few games . Presumably with the cooperation of the rugby board .

I remember reading ( or seeing on tv ) a football ( socccer) staduim in England where the railway line actually tunnels through the maon grandstand . I think it was on tv , the commentator explaining why the stand was shaking ! .
I would be interested to hear of other sports gorunds around the world where the railway/ railroad passes close by . Presumably it is more common in crowded Europe , than the new world .
The Great Central main line plus the metropolitan line of the Underground pass under Lords Cricket Ground. But they don't affect play.