• Diagram of Wash DC Union Station trackage

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BuddSilverliner269

gprimr1 wrote:The afternoon express MARC from DC (Around 4:30 I think) uses the lower level platform because the train is to long to fit on the upper levels.

Acela can only use the high level platforms.

What I've always wondered is "Why are there absolute stop dwarf signals before the bumpers? Do they really need to know to stop lol?"
They aren't stop signals that are hung from the ceiling right before the bumpers. They are just end of track indicators. The dwarks signals on some of the other tracks right before the bumper is provided I guess to get the train crews in trouble if they hit the bumpers because it would be a stop signal violation along with a restricted speed violation.
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by JimBoylan

gprimr1 wrote:What I've always wondered is "Why are there absolute stop dwarf signals before the bumpers? Do they really need to know to stop lol?"
If the Automatic Train Stop system is working, they might protect the bumpers from being scratched by slow trains. If you're going to have a marker light for low visibility conditions, signal heads are already in stock. There is no need to convince the Stores Department to find, buy, and stock another part.
If there is no proper Stop Signal at the end of track (a Special Instruction could say that a bumper is a Stop Signal not in conformance with typical aspects), then the track is probably not part of signaled territory. Additional restrictions and delays might apply after passing the last signal or End of Block sign. What could that last signal display? I think its most favorable indication could be only Restricting. Almost any other indication tells you what to do until the next signal or 2, which implies that there is a next signal. A Stop Signal at the bumper means that the preceding signal can display as favorable an aspect as Approach, which usually allows a faster speed than Restricting or Stop and Proceed, and still requires that the engineer be prepared to stop at the next signal.
Fiscal sanity is starting to invade this field. Sometimes the Stop sign from a portable barricade is used on the end of a track. If the Rules say that it is one of the permitted aspects of a Stop Signal, then the above advantages can apply, but at a lower cost.
  by BuddSilverliner269

JimBoylan wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:What I've always wondered is "Why are there absolute stop dwarf signals before the bumpers? Do they really need to know to stop lol?"
If the Automatic Train Stop system is working, they might protect the bumpers from being scratched by slow trains. If you're going to have a marker light for low visibility conditions, signal heads are already in stock. There is no need to convince the Stores Department to find, buy, and stock another part.
If there is no proper Stop Signal at the end of track (a Special Instruction could say that a bumper is a Stop Signal not in conformance with typical aspects), then the track is probably not part of signaled territory. Additional restrictions and delays might apply after passing the last signal or End of Block sign. What could that last signal display? I think its most favorable indication could be only Restricting. Almost any other indication tells you what to do until the next signal or 2, which implies that there is a next signal. A Stop Signal at the bumper means that the preceding signal can display as favorable an aspect as Approach, which usually allows a faster speed than Restricting or Stop and Proceed, and still requires that the engineer be prepared to stop at the next signal.
Fiscal sanity is starting to invade this field. Sometimes the Stop sign from a portable barricade is used on the end of a track. If the Rules say that it is one of the permitted aspects of a Stop Signal, then the above advantages can apply, but at a lower cost.
Jim, see my post above yours. I already explained what these signals are.
  by Jtgshu

JimBoylan wrote:
NJT has the same set up in Hoboken, with a stop signal next to the bumping block, and as budd mentioned, if you hit the block, you also get hit with a stop signal violation (a double whammy!)

I was told it was like that so you get a better signal progression down - the signal before the block is usually a slow approach, which is MUCH better (from an engineers point of view!) than running on a restricting, which is USUALLY the signal you get if there is no stop signal at the end of ABS territory, like on tracks 1-4 in NY, you come up to the block on a Restricting on the entrance signal.
  by checkthedoorlight

Stop signals are tons of fun, but they won't help my map get completed. I've been to Washington Union Station once in my life (and that was for the 3AM train) so I don't know my way around there at ALL, and there are surprisingly few photos of the platforms there online....
  by realtype

checkthedoorlight wrote:Wow, what is the longest MARC train? If anyone knows the lengths of the platforms (# of cars they hold), that would be a big help too.
The longest MARC train is a 9 car set used on the Perryville rush hour locals. I do know that 16 is the longest track on the upper level, and is used by the Capitol Ltd. and MARC trains.
checkthedoorlight wrote:Good news. I'm laying out Washington Union Station as we speak (which, when followed by the 1st St Tunnel, will have all 450 miles of the NEC mapped!). However, I have a couple questions about that station. The Bing Maps birds eye through there are a total mess, so it's really hard to tell anything about that station. I have a chart of K tower, so I know where all the switches are, but it doesn't have the platforms on it.

How far south do the lower level platforms go? Like how many cars can track 24 hold?

What is the platform arrangement between tracks?

Which platforms are high, and which are low? It looks like some tracks have a high level on one side, and low on the other

Are all of the bumper tracks parallel to each other, or are others longer or shorter (from my NEC video, it looks like track 17 ends farther north than 18-20)?

Are these the correct track numbers, going from west to east?

Upper level: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Lower Level: 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

I also have a couple of curiosities about the operation of that station:

Is there any set pattern to the track assignments there? Obviously south of DC trains need to go to the lower level, meaning all of the VRE trains and any Amtrak trains not terminating there. Do all of the MARC trains and the Amtrak trains terminating there all go to the upper level? Does Union Station have an online track board, like Grand Central and NY Penn?

Also, from all of the videos and photos I've seen of the station, it looks like most of the Acelas use 18-20, and often all 3 tracks are occupied. Do Acelas turn at the station if they are returning north the same day, rather than laying over in the yard?

Do the MARC/VRE trains lay over on the platform, or in the yard?

Is track 30 used for passenger trains? It's on the lower level, but as a bumper block at the south end, with no direct connection to the tunnel.

Amtrak regionals which terminate at DC - do they back up to the tracks next to the Brunswick line in order to wye (similar to what they do in Boston) after fumigating, or does another engine tow them through it? I have a video filmed in the 80s of a DC-bound Capitol Limited. This train goes through the wye and then backs into the upper level (with the C/R at the other end giving the engineer radio information) before fumigating. I take it all of the MARC/VRE trains are pushpull, and don't need to wye?

When Amtrak does engine changes on the lower level, how do they get the engines around each other?
I don't know much about the lower level platforms, except that they're all low platforms, and have only been down there a few times. Only one MARC train, the 426 (3:25) Penn Line train, uses the lower level because of space constraints on the upper level.

Okay now for the platform arrangement (just for the upper level, not the lower level). I'll use "---" for a high platform and "__" for a low platform. Starting from the far West End adjacent to the Crew Base (the Metro Red Line portal is west of that):

7__8,9---10__11---12,13---14,15__16__17--18,19--20

All tracks are electrified except 7, 8, and 9. 7 track is the shortest in the station (about half to 1/3 the length of the other "normal" tracks) since it starts/ends a good distance from the station. The low platform between 10 and 11 isn't used in regular service, and only on occasions such as Train Day or when VRE put their new gallery cars on display. 15 track also starts/ends a good way from the station but the platform extends further north (up to K tower) than the other tracks so it's probably around the same length or longer than the "normal" tracks. As I said mentioned earlier 16 is the longest track (the platform used is the one on the right facing North) and extends further North past K Tower and all the way to the station. Track 16 is also the only track with a train inspection pit. All the high platforms are the same "normal" length, except for 17/18 which has a long (and unused) low platfom extension. 9/10, 11/12, and 13/14 also have short low platform extension and are sometimes used when "stacked" MARC trains exceed the length of the high platform.

Tracks 17 to 20 are used almost exclusively by the Acela Express trainsets, but Regionals use them as well. Up until 2-3 years ago MARC would also sometimes use those tracks (in the morning mostly), but apparently for security and/or convenience reasons they no longer do and they put up a barrier between 17-20 and the rest of the upper level. The "Corridor Clipper" and "Beach Grove" have routinely been stored at the end of these tracks since the HST trainsets have enough room to fully platform behind them.

During the rush hour usually only MARC uses tracks 7-16, with the longer (7-9 car) electric Penn Line trains using the high platforms. Shorter 3-5 diesel trains are usually stacked one in front of the other, except on 7 trk since there's no room. MARC's two gallery car consists (used on the Brunswick Line) usually use track 8, but sometimes 15. All MARC trains board through Gate A and B (and since this Feb, C). Most MARC trains layover on the platform, with some shorter diesel trains in the small yard. MARC is in the process of constructing a new yard, adjacent to the HST Washing building (between the NEC ROW and the VRE yard). There is noe online track board.

During the midday Amtrak will also use 10-14 for one or two Regional sets. On a Regional only 8 cars will platform on an inbound train though (9 on an outbound). The Capitol Ltd. always uses 16. During the rush hour Regionals (including those that originate in WAS) use the lower level or the Acela Express tracks. The Acela Express sets mostly layover on the platform (up to 3 at any given time), but they are frequently shuttled back and forth to Ivy City, presumably for maintenance. I've also seen the trainsets being wyed (along with the Regional sets) a number of times on the wye beside the Met. Sub. (Brunswick Line). MARC and VRE trains don't need to wye and the cab car is always pointing (on both systems) towards WAS on inbound trains.

Of course all VRE trains use the lower level, but layover in the yard north of the NY Ave overpass. As a side note, the VRE yard is at max capacity, and starting this summer VRE will add another train which will mean one set will terminate at L'Enfant Plaza.

As for your last question, as I said I'm not very familiar with the lower level, but I would imagine that there's a crossover in the tunnel that would allow them to do run-arounds.

Hope this helps.
  by NellieBly

A few comments on lower level operations:

Track 21 has been removed. Track 22 is mainly used as an "escape track" for engine changes. VRE trains generally use track 23 and track 26. I often see the inbound "Capitol Limited" on track 25 as I'm boarding train 196 for PHL (5:05 PM departure) on Track 27. The next later Regonal train is often spotted on Track 28. Amtrak does not use Track 29, although it is a through track, because there is no direct access to the platform between track 29 and track 30. Track 30 is used to store equipment. It has a bumper block at the south end and does not go through.

Tracks 22 through 29 all converge to double track very shortly after entering the tunnel, and yes, there is a pair of crossovers, so locomotives on inbound trains can escape and run to Ivy City. The catenary also extends to south of the crossovers for this purpose.

VRE trains are all stored in the former comissary yard north of Union Station, south of the B&O wye. As noted, they use two lower level tracks. Amtrak regionals can use 24, 25, 27, or 28. Revenue trains do not use 29 or 22 (at least, I've never seen one on either track).

Even in the rush hours, some Amtrak regionals do use the upper level. Train 111, my usual train PHL to DC, is usually on Track 10 for its 0842 arrival. I have also arrived on/left from tracks 9 and 11 on regionals, as well as track 17 (although the middle four tracks are mostly used by Acela Express). Obviously any train with cars for points south of Washington must use the lower level.

When Metro was built north of Union Station, it took the space of the two B&O mainline tracks. The current single-track connection to the Metropolitan Sub starts just south of New York Avenue, and runs between the Metro Brentwood Yard and the VRE storage tracks, across a grade crossing, and finally joins the B&O wye double track at "QN". The connection to the Capitol Sub starts at the same place, but runs east of the Acela maintenance building, right next to the Amtrak double track, out to a junction with the B&O mains next to Ivy City yard. It's also single track. Both are signaled. The one pair of CPLs you've seen are, I think, intermediate signals between "A" interlocking and "QN".

There is a Washington Terminal wye track that runs below (downhill from) the B&O tracks, and connects the Metropolitan Sub to yard tracks in Ivy City. It can be used to turn trains; it passes underneath a bridge that carries the B&O over the Ivy City tracks.
  by justalurker66

I wish I was paying more attention when I passed through the station a couple of years ago. On arrival the train (Capital Limited) was late enough that my wife and I just wanted to get to the hotel and see if we could get a little sightseeing in before sundown. On departure we got to the station a little late. We spent some time at the station and visited the station earlier in the year when I drove to DC but I'm still a little lost on levels.

I can't find a station diagram on the Internet ... I recall from the departure that we went through the east most door in the boarding area, walked down a platform and boarded the train waiting for us on the left side of that low platform. I don't believe we went down stairs to get there. If the train would have reversed it would have hit a bumper. I assume this was the upper level. Is the lower level west or east of the upper level? In my mind it seems the food court would interfere with having a lower level (unless the lower level is under the food court?

Hopefully the track diagram will help sort this out in my mind and I appreciate in advance the work being done on it. Anyone have a good diagram of the station itself?
  by checkthedoorlight

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I have a pretty good grip on Washington now.

Here is what I have done so far. Remember that this is still a work in progress, so most of it isn't labeled, and the area around C interlocking and the wye/yard is still being drawn in. All of the trackage along the NEC mainline and the station should be in place though. I realize there are some scaling issues with the ladders at the north end of the station, but the method I use for drawing sometimes requires making things appear more cramped than they should be. If anything else looks wrong, as far as the layout of the station, please let me know how I should fix it.
  by justalurker66

That helps place the lower level ... and is nice and clear (as usual for your maps).

I assume the food court is between the WMATA line and track 22 at the same level as those lower tracks?
  by TREnecNYP

gprimr1 wrote:The afternoon express MARC from DC (Around 4:30 I think) uses the lower level platform because the train is to long to fit on the upper levels.

Acela can only use the high level platforms.

What I've always wondered is "Why are there absolute stop dwarf signals before the bumpers? Do they really need to know to stop lol?"
Hoboken Terminal has said red signals on its bumpers. all aside track 1 which i believe is due to it being modified from its original form & shortened to only fit a few cars has no access to the electrical wiring found at the far end by the concourse. I have not been to GCT or NYP in a while so i can't remember if the bumpers have them or not. I'd assume this is less of an overkill than it seems, as when an engineer sees the red the brain automatically goes into "oh gotta stop" mode vs actually having to think about it.

- A
  by realtype

checkthedoorlight wrote:Thanks for everyone's help. I think I have a pretty good grip on Washington now.

Here is what I have done so far. Remember that this is still a work in progress, so most of it isn't labeled, and the area around C interlocking and the wye/yard is still being drawn in. All of the trackage along the NEC mainline and the station should be in place though. I realize there are some scaling issues with the ladders at the north end of the station, but the method I use for drawing sometimes requires making things appear more cramped than they should be. If anything else looks wrong, as far as the layout of the station, please let me know how I should fix it.
Great job man! That map is spot on. I took a look at your other maps and they're amazing as well. If only I had found that MNR one before I built my route for Trainz. Dude you have a gift.

justalurker66 wrote:That helps place the lower level ... and is nice and clear (as usual for your maps).

I assume the food court is between the WMATA line and track 22 at the same level as those lower tracks?

Actually the food court is well beyond the tracks to the South.
  by justalurker66

realtype wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:I assume the food court is between the WMATA line and track 22 at the same level as those lower tracks?
Actually the food court is well beyond the tracks to the South.
South of the upper level tracks but west of the lower level?
  by checkthedoorlight

After I finished working on that trackmap, I made this spreadsheet of possible track assignments at Union Station (similar to the spreadsheets I've made in the past for NY Penn, Grand Central, Hoboken and Philly), based on what was mentioned here and in the MARC/VRE forums. I'm not sure how long originating/terminating Amtrak trains get held at the station, but since my NEC video shows A125 still in place as A2159 is pulling in, and since at NYP it's usually 30 minutes for Acelas and 45-60 minutes for regional/LD trains, I went with those time figures. It sounds like MARC essentially treats the station platforms as its own electric yard during the midday, and yards a couple of diesels midday, while VRE has its own yard for midday layups, but there aren't any MARC/VRE there overnight. This also assumes that DC has set track assignments day to day, like most terminals do. Anyone who knows these better for sure, or will be in Union station during the week and can grab a shot of the departure/arrival boards, I would appreciate the help. Thanks
  by train2

Two things to add.

First what about the NS Marco Polo? For years NS has kept an office car parked on what I think is the western most track. Is that 7? It is used for entertaining, government functions and when I saw it last about a year ago it was the only office car not in Tuscan red. It was still in Brunswick green, I suspect it is a Southern RR hold over. What effect does the Marco Polo have on its track? (Is it still there?) Is there any more to the story on this car? Has it ever left the station?

Also there is or was a signaled track coming off the west side that ducks under a portion of the building and exits the station area and heads toward what might be the post office building. It is signaled and controlled from K. This was in place 7-10 years back long after the metro was built.

T2