• Deutsche Bahn/S-Bahn/U-Bahn

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by tgolanos

I wanted to start this topic for several reasons:
1- I'm in Germany right now, so it's kind of what I know best, rail-wise
2- to help those who may wish to travel to and around Germany via the Bahn systems
3- for fun, cuz we're all rail fans

So please feel free to share any and all information, advice, stories, or concerns. This is of course open to all S- and U-Bahn lines from all cities, not just Berlin, Frankfurt, etc. Any and all are free game.
  by CarterB

I must say that, as a yearly traveler to Germany for the past 20 years, I certainly enjoy and greatly use the German rail system/s. In USA I reside in NJ, which, with NJ Transit, is one of the USA's best transit (Sbahn) systems, and the NEC. So I feel certainly well qualified to make comparisons.

The German U/S/R and IC systems, as built and run, make for a superior rail commute. All are efficient, exceptional on-time records, frequent and fast. My home in Germany is Norderstedt, a near-in suburb of Hamburg. When travelling to/from there, it is quite easy to take the U bahn ( or U/S combination) from a stop 4 blocks from my home to the Hauptbahnhof in Hamburg. The U bahns and S bahns are convenient, clean, and fast.

I never worry about 'extra time' or 'padding' in my schedule/s, since a 5 min 'dwell' time in Hamburg is more than sufficient for catching the Intercity trains to wherever. For a tourist, using the DB Railpass, it's a huge bargain, and includes free passage on the KD Rhine Line boats, which is a 'must do'. And, instead of a $200-300 hotel, for about $40 US you can book a liegewagen (couchette) for overnight travel...and from one end of Germany to other, take a train overnight ...see the sights ...and return overnight to origin, allowing a full day (8am-10pm) for sightseeing. (also way to go to neighboring countries for same types of trips...Paris, Amsterdam, Innsbruck, Vienna, Zurich, Prague, Copenhagen...etc. an easy overnight trip with full day sightseeing and then return) The German ICE high speed trains are terrific...smooth riding, (no bounce and sway , actually can have a full-to-the-brim cup of coffee and not spill it) While not as fast as the TGV...still a lot faster than the best an Acela can do on a good day and a helluva lot more comfortable ride.

For those a bit more inhibited, the extra cost of a double schlafwagen (sleeper) is still reasonable, and a bit more comfortable.
And for those on unlimited budgets, the deluxe sleepers with full facilities, are exceptional.

The Bord Restaurant or Bord Bistro's are a bit expensive, so many residents or tourist travelers will tend to bring their own food on board....or ...grab something last minute at an "Imbiss" (snack bar) at the train station (bahnhof) or even on the platform. The Imbiss food is excellent. (try a frikadellen mit ein bier) delicious!!!! And during Weihnachtsfest (Christmas season) make sure to grab a Glühwein.!!!
  by tgolanos

I'm in Hamburg myself, just outside of the center district. I live right at a 4-way juction point between the S1, S11, S2, S21, U2, and U3 (right at Berliner Tor). The frequency of service makes getting to school so much easier, seeing as I don't have to worry about missing a train. Missed the train, wait 7 minutes for the next one towards the Hauptbahnhof, or go see if there's an S11 coming in soon. Even farther out on the lines, train frequencey never goes above the 20 minute mark- and that's only for the way out there stations. Can't go wrong. Gotta say, I love the all-night weekend sevice on the S- and U-Bahn here in Hamburg, too.
  by CarterB

tgolanos,

I am quite familiar with Berliner Tor. You certainly reside in a major rail point to all directions and very convenient to Hauptbahnhof. Are there any Plandampf's still in Deutschland? In the past, you were able to see/travel occasionally behind a dampfloc from Hauptbahnhof for special trips. I know there are still some narrow gauge tourist dampf railroad operations in Rugen, Harz, and Dresden areas, all of which I have toured on in the past.
  by tgolanos

CarterB wrote:Are there any Plandampf's still in Deutschland?
None that I've seen yet, but that doesn't mean there aren't- either around here or even in other cities. The weather's really just starting to get nice, so maybe in the coming weeks there'll be one or two around.
  by bellstbarn

Many thanks for starting this thread. I wish I saw another visit to Germany in my future, but at for now I am limited to armchair traveling.
----
Allow a question: Around Hamburg, what are the variations of platform levels with respect to boarding or leaving a train? My question arises from an incident in Paris last month. A friend boarded Ligne C of the RER safely, but when her station came she did not notice the steps inside the car door down to the platform, and she tumbled head first. Thankfully, she did not need a doctor. Just badly bruised. I recall that the Paris metro required a short step up into each car.
----
Around Long Island, New York, the problem is the gap between the car and the platform. Almost always, the cars stop level with the platform. On the Lexington Avenue subway, the match is almost perfect, and the gap is only an inch or two. At your convenience, could you describe the boarding levels around Hamburg? Many thanks!
Joe
  by tgolanos

bellstbarn wrote:Allow a question: Around Hamburg, what are the variations of platform levels with respect to boarding or leaving a train?
The S-Bahn stations are a bit hit-or-miss, with respects to handicapt accesibility. Major stations (like the Hauptbahnhof or major transfer stations) are fully accessible, with elevators, escalators, and high platforms. Some stations have a small gap between the train door and the platform, but conductors come out with a ramp when needed. U-Bahn stations are a bit different- they're both high- and low-level at the same time. 75% of the platform is low level and require a small step-up to board the train. In the middle of the platform, though, there is a small, 10meter section that's raised roughly to train-level. The only thing here is one can't garentee that the car you're riding in will stop at this section of the next platform... Not every U-Bahn station has an elevator, either. Some only have escalators. I'm not too sure about the platforms for long distance or inter-city trains, though. I've only taken a few, and those were low-level only. I'm at the Hauptbahnhof just about everyday, though, so I'll pay more attention to it next time I'm there.

I will say that Hamburg, or HVV (Hamburger Verkehrsverbund - the city's transit organizor), is doing a lot of station renovating these days. So, hopefully in the near future, more stations will be more accessible. Accessable stations are, of course, listed on transit maps.
  by george matthews

I will say that Hamburg, or HVV (Hamburger Verkehrsverbund - the city's transit organizor), is doing a lot of station renovating these days. So, hopefully in the near future, more stations will be more accessible. Accessable stations are, of course, listed on transit maps.
The London Underground is also a historic network with poor access. It will take a long time to make all the stations accessible, though of course new lines tend to be better. All new stations now have lifts to all levels, as well as escalators.
  by bellstbarn

Regarding Berliner Tor: Is there any monumental arch or gate there? Anything I can find about Berliner Tor on the internet refers to the railway and U-Bahn station. I can't find a street scene. Thanks. Joe
  by CarterB

Here's a website that explains it...in German..
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Tor_%28Hamburg%29

Basically: (as translated) Once stood here too the Straw storage the Hamburg Cavalry After the 17th century the street When straw house was named. During and after the period of French occupation of Hamburg (1806-1814), the Berlin Gate was demolished around 1820, because - it was outdated as the entire old city walls - and offered no protection. The road Berliner Tor existed since at least the 1844th From then until 1899 she was At Berlin Gate Before it received its present name. The added transverse Berlinertordamm there since 1905. { In other words...no more walled city...no more gate. The gate basically was from Hamburg into St. Georg on the road to Berlin} St. Georg is still the neighborhood in that area. Google St. Georg for some info and photos of the area. The Tor stood roughly where Berliner Tor Damm is now. Zoom way in!!! (http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9LmJlcmxpb ... YyNzczNg==

Now basically, just the name of the S and U bahn station in that area....what wasn't already gone before WWII was totally bombed out and obliterated during the "fire storm" raids on Hamburg in 29/30 July 1943 (much worse than the more well known fire bombing of Dresden) The buildings around Berliner Tor relatively new, therefore.
  by tgolanos

CarterB sums it up pretty well- it's just a name for a station with a lot of connections. The area is very new, too. Of course, since Hamburg was obitherated in the war, everything had to be re-build. The building I'm living in was probably built in the 50's. A new shopping center was just built (within the last couple of years) and a bunch of new high-rises just went into place, too. Don't get me wrong, the moderness is good in it's own way, but Hamburg's definately not the place to come if you're looking to experience the Germany you see on TV.

Anyway, back to the Bahn- The only real, grand S-Bahn stations are Hauptbahnof and Dammtor. Again, there is no actual gate at Dammtor- it is simply a name. Everything else tends to just be multi-tracked platforms. Deutsche Bahn Regional stations tend to have a station house and train yard, too. Interesting note is that there are few, dare I say, no grade-crossings with our S-Bahn. The entire thing is either above or below ground. My guess is that this partially has to do with the fact it's run by third-rail and not overhead wires.
  by CarterB

Dammtor (built 1903) was also known as the "Kaiser's station" as that is where the royalty normally would debark and embark when visiting Hamburg. It is a grand structure.{ http://flickriver.com/photos/wolf-rabe/ ... 978/#large } The Hauptbahnhof is a grand structure built 1906, and rebuilt as was after the war. (http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/de/sta ... f/pix.html } Altona, in my opinion, also qualifies as an important Hamburg station....and you can still load your car on flat cars there for a trip to the Island of Sylt (only way onto island is the railroad bridge/causeway)
Hamburg does have some very nice post war rebuilt areas, not the post modern, including the Rathaus (City Hall) Neuer Wall, Alter Wall, Monkedamm and areas such as Blankanese, Rotherbaum, Harvestehude, Winterhude, and Eppendorf. All well accessable by U or S bahn!! You really don't need an auto in Hamburg, of for that matter, to visit most of Germany. The rail systems are that good, that you need only walk a few blocks in most instances.
  by bellstbarn

Many thanks for the explanations about Berliner Tor and Dammtor. This is fun! I'm able to cross reference the locations with the map you linked to.
-----
I'm reviewing some of the 300 photos of Hamburg on http://www.nycsubway.org
In particular, this photo of a curve in the platform at Sternschanze shows not only a large gap but also a step up into the U-Bahn train. It would provide a few year's income to New York's tort (or "trial") lawyers. Link to photo here:
http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?77002

Joe McMahon
  by tgolanos

bellstbarn wrote:In particular, this photo of a curve in the platform at Sternschanze shows not only a large gap but also a step up into the U-Bahn train. It would provide a few year's income to New York's tort (or "trial") lawyers.
That photo actually makes it look a lot worse than it is. It's probably only about 6cm away from the train. Again, there is a small raised bit about half-way up the platform for accessibility, so I don't forsee it ever being a problem. That and the Germans, in general, don't seem like the sue-happy people that Americans can be.
  by ExCon90

Are there still mechanical semaphores between Blankenese and Wedel? Expensive to maintain, but great to look at.