• Details, impressions of M7 fleet

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by F40

Give all details of when and where they were manufactured, how many units, on which lines they are found, etc, including any pet peeves or comments about them.

An additional question:

There seems to be a 'WEEEeeee" sound (similar to the ones the SEPTA subway makes) when the M7 is almost to a stop. Is this the audible portion of the electric motor, as in the R142 subway cars?

by NIMBYkiller

They can be found on any electric line. I always see them on the Port Washington line. There's almost always atleast two(usually 3 or 4) in the yard /station at Port Washington.

Only problem I got wit em is the announcements. They're too damn long. They could've simply done like Long Island Bus does.

by Aero_rail_nut

I know they are manufactured by Bombardier, up in Plattsburgh, NY. When I was visiting my Fiancee's parents I saw them testing new trains up on the old air force base there, and I was shocked to see the Long Island Rail Road sign on them (this was back in 2002), I went up there about a month ago and they had a whole bunch of MNRR logoed M7's. Bombardier has a large train testing area there with miles of electrified third rail track, that run arround the grounds of the old Plattsburgh Air Force Base, right by the runways where B52's were stationed.

Not sure of the exact specifics on how many were manufactured.
  by N340SG

F40,

The LIRR will finish receiving their order of 678 M-7 cars by April, 2006.
Deliveries are slow to the LIRR right now, because, as you saw, MetroNorth is receiving their M-7s currently. (LIRR has almost 300 right now). That was always the delivery plan. DutchRailnut (from MNCR) can tell you how many MNCR is slated to receive.
Only some "final assembly" work is done at Plattsburgh, in order to fulfill the MTA "buy NY" mantra. Most of the manufacture is done in LaPocatier [sp?], Canada.
The "whee" sounds do come from the AC traction motors.

You can peruse some of the other LIRR threads in this forum to see what people like and hate about the new cars. Briefly, quality of ride; malfunctioning bathrooms; seat size, comfort and armrest issues; and preponderance of hideous, loud noises are the main dislikes.

Note: The LIRR will also keep 172 M-3 and 132 M-1 cars in service after all M-7s are in service.

by Tadman

Hey somebody better save some M1's after they are all retired - along with the CSS Sumitomo cars they are the first examples of modern electric MU's ordered/funded by governments rather than private equity.

by Retroboy

anyone think the RMLI would get a pair of m1s?

by N340SG

I would suggest asking the LIRR now to save 9001/9002 for RMLI, if interested.
9003 through 9012 have already gone to scrap company.
9001/9002 would be the best numbers to have for a museum, for obvious reason. Since they would ultimately go to scrap, they should be available when the time comes for little or no monetary consideration.
  by Head-end View

:-D New highest number M-7 seen this afternoon at Port Washington Station: #7293-94. Approx. 30% of the electric fleet should now be M-7's if I'm counting correctly. For better or for worse.

BTW, last week I was amazed to actually see M-1 9001-9002 still in service on the main-line. I remember riding that pair when they first came in service circa 1969, when I was right out of high school. What a blast from the past!

by emfinite

I recall seeing 7321/22 on flats in Fresh Pond this past Saturday morning.
Last edited by emfinite on Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by NIMBYkiller

Head End View......you should've told me you'd be in town today. I'm only a mile from the PW station(and was probably in the area at the time too).
  by Mr rt

"... Hey somebody better save some M1's after they are all retired - along with the CSS Sumitomo cars they are the first examples of modern electric MU's ordered/funded by governments rather than private equity ..."

The PROBLEM for an operating museum is that:
1. The cars are big
2. They are matched pairs so you need a lot of track to store them.

Both Riverhead (39) and Oyster Bay (35) are S-T-E-A-M operations, or that's what they iintend to be. So, if they got a pair they would just sit there and rust away :-(
e.g. how many MP-54s were saved ... what is their status ?

Danbury might want a Cosmapolitian

by LIengineerBob

Seen 7321/7322 being tested today (9/30) on the mainline west of Jamica.
  by N340SG

LIRR intranet says 300 M-7s now in service. Anything above 7302 should be in testing, and not accepted yet. (7003/7004 are still not on the roster.)

486 M-1s still left in service as of this date.

Tom

by LIengineerBob

I seen 7313/7314 in service today on the Babylon Branch

by LIengineerBob

7327/7328 were seen in Hillside yard today, 10/5/04.