• Destruction of the Sayre Big Shops

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by GN 599

I live in Oregon and about a year ago I met a guy who said his father worked there. Along with his uncle and his grandfather was a mechanical foreman of sometype. I wish I could remember his name. Small world...

by jmp883

What a sad series of photographs. I can remember growing up there and how busy the yards were. To see what it has become is just terrible.

Going home just isn't the same anymore.... :(

by Lehighton_Man

PRRGuy wrote:Rumor has it there's a LV trainmaster down there :wink:
Hmm a Trainmaster you say?
i guess a little search is due for here!
Lets see what we can find....
God help us, if something was found down there, im sure every lehigher would flock to the area to see a beast like that.

by scottychaos

Lehighton_Man wrote:
PRRGuy wrote:Rumor has it there's a LV trainmaster down there :wink:
Hmm a Trainmaster you say?
i guess a little search is due for here!
Lets see what we can find....
God help us, if something was found down there, im sure every lehigher would flock to the area to see a beast like that.
Sorry Sean,
but the LV trainmaster was a bit of tomfoolery that got a bit out of control :wink: someone got mad at us because they didnt get the joke and thought it was real!, but it was always just a joke..sorry to get your hopes up!

the story is here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30579

complete with photo of the LV trainmaster in the tunnels under the Sayre yard! :wink:

Scot

by lvrr325

When I read there was a Trainmaster down there, knowing some of the Italians that live in Sayre as well as I do, I figured it was an actual guy that was a pain in the butt to people, that was buried down there like Jimmy Hoffa or something. Any of you that are on the one EL mailing list might know the stories about Sammy Miller in Binghamton, he seems like the kind of guy they'd push into the concrete form while it's pouring...

by GOLDEN-ARM

At Oak Island, he'd be thrown into an empty boxcar, and "no-billed" to Buffalo................ :wink:

by Tadman

GA, I just read your comments to the german dude about how to shove cars in a yard... I'm still laughing. The bit about burning off some brake shoes while kicking cars in run-2 - wow. I love it.