• Derailment in Bangor 04-02-2006

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Pan Am derailed in Bangor today. Some cars in the Penobscot River. Will post more info when I get it.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by greenlawffemt

MABA derailed at about 11 to 1pm ballpark, had a report they went past Orono at about noon-ish.

Location of the derailment is where Hogan Road dumps onto Route 2 near the Waterworks ( Near EMMC Hospital )

The rear section of the train is where the derailment occured, 2 Hi-cube CRLE Green box cars, and 2 "Gas" cars remained up right, not sure if they derailed, the 3 cars ahead of that being a PAN AM box, a ? CN box and a Hi-Cube box all derailed, each touching the water in some form. The CN car is the winner completely underwater. The Pan Am car is on its side touching the water ( railpictures.net and Nerail have good pictures )
The CN car has its roof cut off.

Track equipment responding to the incident from Bucksport and MABA's power spotted some ties in Bangor yard for crews on scene to get.

As per another post, Wreck train with 500-501 departed E Deerfield around 3-4. WANM into NMJ with the 252 told to clear the main. No word yet on Waterville crane, but last time they wreck in the area, the East Deefield train also picked up the waterville stuff.

Thats it for now.
Isaac

by MEC407

Thanks for the info!

by mainetrain

Geez,
I leave Maine yesterday and come to work today in NJ, and Guilford and Susquehannah both have accidents, in Me and NJ
  by SPACEMONKEY

Great job to all on the info line! That picture of the Pan Am box car looked pretty bad for Pan AM, I don't think Guilford realized when their Pan Am trains derail and have accidents, it reflects in a negative way on the Pan AM Airline as well. It's a reminder to me anyways of just how unsafe Pan AM can be.
  by Trains

SPACEMONKEY wrote:Great job to all on the info line! That picture of the Pan Am box car looked pretty bad for Pan AM, I don't think Guilford realized when their Pan Am trains derail and have accidents, it reflects in a negative way on the Pan AM Airline as well. It's a reminder to me anyways of just how unsafe Pan AM can be.
haha I thought the same exact thing! I hope the PR department comes up with something.
  by MEC407

Trains wrote:haha I thought the same exact thing! I hope the PR department comes up with something.
PR Department? At Guilford? Surely you're kidding...
  by 130MM

MEC407 wrote:
Trains wrote:haha I thought the same exact thing! I hope the PR department comes up with something.
PR Department? At Guilford? Surely you're kidding...

I'm serious. And stop calling me "Shirley."

Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

by MEC407

LOL :-D

In all seriousness, I think Young Mr. Fink is the sole member of Guilford's PR department.

If you look at the thousands of newspaper articles regarding Guilford over the years, you'll find that the vast majority of them say something along the lines of "the company did not return phone calls" or "the company spokesman had no comment."

by murray83

not the first time anything from pan am flew in the air and crashed :wink:

by Trains

By the way, I spotted a Pan Am boxcar at the Mopar plant in Newark, Delaware this afternoon. It was in a short consist with an engine in Conrail livery and a Conrail caboose at the end. Something you don't see every day. What is the furthest away from Guilford/Pan Am's operating territory that someone has seen a Pan Am boxcar?
  by greenlawffemt

While working my full time job at the store, when I heard the lovely sound of
Bangor
Central Fire rolling out to a call in normal fassion, about the same time
literally my wife
called. She was passing the wreck site and Station 5 stopped on scene of the
wreck. My
wife reported that Bangor Fire Eng 5 and Rescue 5 were stopped, some "wierd"
train sitting
on the track, unit facing west, and a really bad smell.

I responded to the Brewer side and made a few calls enroute, tipping other
railfans off.
Recieved notification just seconds to my arrival that the Wreck train arrived
this am, one
crane only around 0600 hours. The moved the PAN AM car, cut a hole into it, and
touched
off some of the paper inside.

Well, I think it got away from them...

My arrival found 2 engines, 2 meat wagons, Command vehical and Ladder on scene.
Pan
am car spun around and looked good and messed up. Took a few photo's and cleared
to
post this report.
  by greenlawffemt

The moved the PAN AM car, cut a hole into it, and touched off some of the paper inside.
Well, I think it got away from them...

My original post above...

I posted the above information based on reports I recieved while enroute to document the
event.

In a attempt to fish the Pan Am car out of the river, the single big hook, and the RC
whatever you call it, couldn't completely pull er out... So they attempted to cut into the car
to remove some paper product to lighten the load a bit and the sparks touched her off.

End result cooked em good. Smell the sweet smell of smoke in Downtown Bangor..

I spent a small portion of time sitting with former Captain now BGR FD and shot the pooh
for a while.

While the incident transpired, Brewer was dispatched to cover Bangor and assisted them
on a Fire Alarm call in town. Brewer was cleared soon after.

As of 1000 pm, Eng 5, and R5 still on scene, not sure if any other crews still working the
incident but they are still there fighting the fire at this time..

R1 just signed back at home from the RR incident they usually get cleared early, while the
ladder and engine from Central most likely are available on scene.

Eventful night, wished I could have worked it in some force.. but wrist still heeling....

Isaac