• Derailment at W Deerfield by RT91 bridge

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by johnpbarlow

He also would not comment on back taxes owed to the town. According to town records, Pan Am owes the town $223,277 in property taxes on its East Deerfield rail yard, located off River Road. The town placed a lien on that property to retrieve the money if there is a sale. Pan Am also owes the town $4,800 in personal property taxes.

Town Clerk Mary Stokarski said she sent a letter to Pan Am about one month ago warning that, if the company did not pay its taxes, the town would seek to take its property. The railroad has not responded, and Stokarski said she is now investigating how the town should go about bringing the company to land court.

Fink said he was not aware the town was taking those steps and he had no comment
That would be interesting if Town of Deerfield became the new owner of the PAR yard. Maybe the town could turn around and sell it at a steep discount to NS or P&W to give them a beach head in Pan Am land. It's been rumored that NS was seeking a decent yard in the northeast.

by MEC407

Great idea in theory, but I'm certain that PAR has a lot more lawyers (and higher-powered ones at that) at its disposal than the town of Deerfield does. :wink:

by Red Wing

johnpbarlow wrote:
That would be interesting if Town of Deerfield became the new owner of the PAR yard. Maybe the town could turn around and sell it at a steep discount to NS or P&W to give them a beach head in Pan Am land. It's been rumored that NS was seeking a decent yard in the northeast.

Yah I was going to post something to that nature on the Rumers thread but found it locked. :-D
  by 244INMYPANTS!

Talk about a poorly run railroad...business school students could use this as an example of what NOT to do. I was watching the election results on CNN and Norfolk Southern was running ads during almost every commercial break. I would love to seem them start edging their way into New England.

by GRSGuy

Then I'd have to work for NS. No thanks!
  by 244INMYPANTS!

So you are saying you actually like working for GRS??!?!?!?

by GRSGuy

Yeah, I do. I enjoy my job, and get paid well for it. I work with a decent group of guys, the kind that, for the most part, I'd hang out with outside of work. I know that my trainmaster remembers what it's like to be in train service, and he's not out being a weed-weasel trying to hang everyone on a minor violation. It's really a decent place to work, so long as you don't let the b.s. eat at you. That b.s., I'm sure, is not only at GRS, but at most railroads.

by mick

A
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

by GRSGuy

Area Managers, ok ok. We all call them trainmasters. He calls himself a trainmaster. He's a trainmaster. So is his father.

by MEC407

mick wrote:#4 What is "deactivated" in every ST engine, even if it never had it in the first place?
I know what this one is, and I don't even work there. :wink:

by GRSGuy

gimme a minute, #3 got me thinking.

#1. heh heh, I'm not going there.
#2. It's in every locomotive cab, on the front wall. Every single one.
#3.
#4. The dynamic brakes. It's stenciled in the cab, even on the 500's, and they never had dynamics.

by mick

Very good
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by moosespider

L O F T Y = Lack of F-ing Talent Yo. If you worked with that particular conductor you would really know what that means.... The sad thing is I think he's the one that writes it----- he's the "Who's your daddy" culprit too.

Joe Earing doesn't work weekends (c-mon everyone knows that)

they answered the other two.

i don't GRS guy works with us.................

by GRSGuy

mick wrote:Very good, but you didn't know what a Speedo was? I think you need a Rules review. Temporary Speed Restriction Summary, issued at 0300 daily.
Take care.
Now I feel stupid. Really stupid.

Oh, and I had an engine today that didn't have L.O.F.T.Y. in it. And I found out the trainmaster I was speaking of went back to the engineer's ranks.

How about the real meaning of "My lantern's in the toilet" written in the cab of the 643? Or the ever-popular warnings about a particular T.O.M.? Sometimes that stupid stuff gives me a little chuckle to get through a boring day of waiting for the engine maintainer to wipe oil off the fuel tank.