• Derailment at Farragut North Metrorail station: station reop

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Head-end View

Even with universal meaning of red signals, you would think that after a 9 year absence, a complete retraining (same as a new employee) would be required. :(
  by jkovach

Noticed today that the derail on the Silver Spring pocket track is now marked by two "DERAILER" signs, one on each side of the track. The signs are the same size as the distance markers that are located every hundred feet or so along the track, but are chartreuse instead of yellow.

I wonder if the signs were installed because of this accident.

Also, this poses the question as to whether the proper nomenclature for this type of device is "derail" or "derailer". I've seen both used in various places.
  by Sand Box John

"jkovach"
Also, this poses the question as to whether the proper nomenclature for this type of device is "derail" or "derailer". I've seen both used in various places.

Derail is the nomenclature used in railroad industry documentation and at locations where the devices are installed. The word derailer appears nowhere in my copy of Metrorail Safety Rules and Procedures Handbook dated 09 10 2003, it also appears nowhere in my copy of ATC Glossary of Terms dated 11 24 2003. Here is the definition of derail in the Glossary of Terms:

"DERAIL
A track device to prevent a train from Fouling a main track, derailing (forcing off the track) said train. WMATA’s five Derails are located in the Pocket tracks and are operated by 55E Switch-And-Lock Movements."

My guess is the person or persons charged with installing the sign used 'derailer' because that was the most commonly used description of the device during the reporting of indecent.