Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by firthorfifth06

Missing Secaucus Lower Level. Change the SE (for Secaucus) to TS (for Transfer Station) to get the Lower Level departures
  by mach5

firthorfifth06 wrote:Missing Secaucus Lower Level. Change the SE (for Secaucus) to TS (for Transfer Station) to get the Lower Level departures
good point, i just added it. at some point when i'm bored i'll separate all the stops out by line
  by firthorfifth06

I love how they cleverly chose the two letters to represent some of the stations:

Bay Street (MC for Montclair Connection)
Suffern (SF for SF Interlocking)
Waldwick (WK for WK Interlocking)
South Amboy (CH for the Church RT)
Cranford (XC for the former XC Tower)
Secaucus Lower Level (TS for Transfer Station)
New Bridge Landing (NH for the former North Hackensack Station)
Mount Arlington (HV is something to do with Howard Boulevard)
Union (US for Union Station as it's listed on train monitors)

Some curiosities:

Why GO for Millington?
Why FZ for Radburn?
Why UF for Ho-Ho-Kus?
Why XG for Sloatsburg?
Why ZM for Montvale?
  by Amtrak7

As I can't somehow attach the file here, I uploaded it to SkyDrive.

http://cid-1a4423cdf63fb5d2.skydrive.li ... sionEd.htm

Just click on the station.

Harriman has also been added to the train's stops, but the station page is saying not available.
  by fredct

firthorfifth06 wrote: Some curiosities:

Why GO for Millington?
Why FZ for Radburn?
Why UF for Ho-Ho-Kus?
Why XG for Sloatsburg?
Why ZM for Montvale?
I'll add one. Why RT for Short Hills? (esp when SH was perfectly available)
  by Jtgshu

While its two seperate departments, there are certain abbrivations that are used on the Railroad for various things, and maybe there were some conflicts, like Short Hills - RT could also mean Round Trip and that might cause some confusion

Id be curious if some of the abbrivations go back to the telegraph days? Like "UM" is for Port Morris Yard.
  by ajt

Many of those abbreviations ARE indeed old station symbols and/or telegraph calls. Bill Sheppard's pioneering 1974 'Schematic Track Diagrams of the Erie Lackawanna Railway' book shows most of the head-scratching abbreviations, including GO Millington, UF Ho-Ho-Kus, XG Sloatsburg, ZM Montvale.

An interesting Port Morris story - Port Morris was UN - N as in Nancy. When the NJT Port Morris jobs were first bulletined they were typoed as UM, and have stayed that way since.
  by Jtgshu

ajt wrote:Many of those abbreviations ARE indeed old station symbols and/or telegraph calls. Bill Sheppard's pioneering 1974 'Schematic Track Diagrams of the Erie Lackawanna Railway' book shows most of the head-scratching abbreviations, including GO Millington, UF Ho-Ho-Kus, XG Sloatsburg, ZM Montvale.

An interesting Port Morris story - Port Morris was UN - N as in Nancy. When the NJT Port Morris jobs were first bulletined they were typoed as UM, and have stayed that way since.
the same person must still be working for NJT, and made the typo on the date on the cover of the Special Instructions last year i think it was? hahaha

Its too bad South Amboy wasn't "SA" hahaha - Essay = SA :)
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:
ajt wrote:Many of those abbreviations ARE indeed old station symbols and/or telegraph calls. Bill Sheppard's pioneering 1974 'Schematic Track Diagrams of the Erie Lackawanna Railway' book shows most of the head-scratching abbreviations, including GO Millington, UF Ho-Ho-Kus, XG Sloatsburg, ZM Montvale.

the same person must still be working for NJT, and made the typo on the date on the cover of the Special Instructions last year i think it was? hahaha

Its too bad South Amboy wasn't "SA" hahaha - Essay = SA :)
Notice how GO 401 doesnt have a day of the week...
  by fredct

Jtgshu wrote:While its two seperate departments, there are certain abbrivations that are used on the Railroad for various things, and maybe there were some conflicts, like Short Hills - RT could also mean Round Trip and that might cause some confusion.
You make a very good point in general - that there might be conflicts with other usages of the acronyms on the railroad.

However, your Short Hills example is actually backwards... they chose *to* use RT, so the conflict with Round Trip must have been no biggie. What could have the much more obvious SH been a conflict with?
  by Jtgshu

fredct wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:While its two seperate departments, there are certain abbrivations that are used on the Railroad for various things, and maybe there were some conflicts, like Short Hills - RT could also mean Round Trip and that might cause some confusion.
You make a very good point in general - that there might be conflicts with other usages of the acronyms on the railroad.

However, your Short Hills example is actually backwards... they chose *to* use RT, so the conflict with Round Trip must have been no biggie. What could have the much more obvious SH been a conflict with?
HAHAHAH you're absolutely right! hahahah DOH! Sorry for any confusion!
  by ns3010

Did anyone else notice that X Trains are listed in the departures? For example
X483, as a 12:43 departure from Newark Penn http://dv.njtransit.com/mobile/tid-mobile.aspx?sid=np
X482, as a 2:45 departure from Philadelphia http://dv.njtransit.com/mobile/tid-mobile.aspx?sid=ph
and X848, as a 9:32 departure from Bay Head http://dv.njtransit.com/mobile/tid-mobile.aspx?sid=bh

So if you ever want to catch an X Train, the time it will happen is relatively easy to find!
  by Otto Vondrak

I would be very impressed if someone did indeed come up with the idea to use the old office calls ("telegraph call signs") to identify these stations.
  by Amtrak7

The program has been updated so that estimated arrival times are given for the upcoming stops on a train when you click on the number.

It's also given for the deadheads.
  by checkthedoorlight

That's too bad that they took down NYP and HOB. Those would be the MOST useful stations to have track info in advance. It was always great how MNRR had a departure webpage for GCT, especially on mornings when I knew my subway transfer was going to be tight. Having Newark Penn available is helpful though.

I didn't realize that NJT's portion of the Lehigh line (Union/Roselle Park) runs only on track 1 in both directions. Restriction from Conrail?

Also looks like there's some track work being done on track 2 between QUEEN and BROOK, as trains in both directions are on track 1 at Plainfield & Dunellen.

Interestingly, Glen Rock-Boro Hall has 2 platforms = BC and 2.

I notice that deadheads are still showing up, but only at stations with employee stops. And last stop trains (i.e. Suffern outbound, except PJ trains) do not show up.

Also kind of weird how Amtrak trains to Philly show up on Trenton's page, but not SEPTA.

Thanks for making that station link page. I'm gonna end up playing with this all afternoon.