• Delay NEC 6/29 AM

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by dinky

So why were there 45 minuted delays this morning?

by F23A4

Yeah, I read about it on my Transit alert text message. The delays must a have started after I got to Nwk (3706), seeing as we pretty much arrived on time. Anyone know what happened??

by hsr_fan

My cousin commutes to NYC from Edison, and he mentioned that there was a medical emergency at Metropark that delayed his train.

by dinky

Emerg. as in heart attack or as in some one got hit?
  by ryanov

I can confirm this one. I heard from my friend's g/f who commuted this morning that there was a medical emergency at Metropark. Sounds like the passenger variety, not tresspasser.
  by nick11a

ryanov wrote:I can confirm this one. I heard from my friend's g/f who commuted this morning that there was a medical emergency at Metropark. Sounds like the passenger variety, not tresspasser.
And they can really hold things up. The train stays waiting for help and help may take a while to get there.

by dinky

45 minutes to wait???? Where did the ambulance come from???? Maplewood???

by TAMR213

You have to remember... The EMT's might not of been able to just get there, and then take them off the train. Would depend on the emergency, amount of people on the train and platform, etc. So not nesicarilly 45 minuted to get there, but 45 minutes to do what they had to do, to maybe save someones life. Think about it, would you all rather have your not so precious 45 minutes back and have someone possibly die, or someone have thier life saved, even though that may cost you 45 minutes. I would hope you all chose the latter.

by dinky

I'll take the 45 minutes! :D

by F23A4

dinky wrote:I'll take the 45 minutes! :D
Welcome to life in the 24-7 world that is the NYC area, TAMR; tardiness is worse than death. :wink: j/k

by Jtgshu

Medical problems/emergencies on the trains really bring out the worst in some people...

Ive had several times when we needed to call for EMS, and even one in Metropark (lady was going into labor) and even after making many announcements, people don't pay attnetion, and come running out on the platform DEMANDING to know what is going on. After telling that there is a medical emergency, and we are waiting for EMS adn assistnace, usually comments like.......

"But I HAVE to be in Trenton in 30 minutes!!!" "Do you know who I am?" "Can't you just put the person on the platform and let them pick them up?" "I bet thats just another excuse so you can make the trian late and make all of us late (this one was my personal favorite)"

Usually at this point in time, I make a comment like, "Well, I certainly hope YOU are never in a situation on the trian when you need medical assistance, on one of MY trains .......I bet your tone would change then when the shoe is on the other foot - Now, go inside, sit down and be quiet and when the EMS comes and they assist the passenger, we will leave, but until then, WE ARE SITTING HERE, THATS THE END OF IT"

Some people are just so selfish and rude.......

by Mark Schweber

With all due respect jt, making an announcement that there is a medical emergency is not sufficient. It is like saying when the train is stopped at a red signal that you "have an unfavorable signal and will move when you get a more favorable signal" (one of my favorites). Well duh! That does not tell anybody anything. Why is the signal red? Same thing with medical emergencies. We hear it so many times it is meaningless. Tell us if you have a woman going into labor or a person possible having a heart attack. Then we will know why it is important to wait. Otherwise I (and I think others) will tend to assume that it is someone who stubbed his toe and is overreacting.
Last edited by Mark Schweber on Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tri-State Tom

Jt -

Ya get these types in all walks of life....

This is one I get all the time -

( me ) " I'll put it in the mail to you this afternoon "

( them ) " Fine....when will I receive it ? "

Now, over the years I've learned not to get into lengthy debates about the U.S. Postal Service or explaining how I'm not the mailman with these types.

I now just blurt out "Tuesday" and be done with the question and the questioner.

by TAMR213

Mark,

ANd what if the person would like some privacy when it comes to whatever problem thier having? And also, with a red signal. What else are they supposed to say? Maybe the crew does not know why, and do you think the crew really wants to sit there? And belive it or not, there are certain "gudlines" I guess you could call it, as to how the crew makes anouncements. I got into an arguement with a guy over on nj.com over something like this...

by Jtgshu

I see and understand your point Mark, but we have to have respect for the passenger who is injured adn requiring attention........I konw if I was hurt on the trian, I wouldn't want hundreds of people knowing my problem.

Im not going to get on the PA and state the cause of the medical emergency.......out of respect for that passegner, adn im not going to give the details of the incident adn where they are located at. People will go and get in the way and "help" and in the end, it just causes more of a trouble for the person injured and the responders, (just like "rubberneckers" on the highway). I have myself and have been on trains where we have asked for any medical personel onboard (as passegners) to report to a certain car to help out, but never gave details on hte announcement. I might, however give a few more details after the person has been removed and we are on our way, but NEVER while the person in still onboard.

"Ladies adn Gentleman, an early 30 year old woman in the front of the 5th car decided to get on the train today and has gone into labor, once she gives birth or EMS comes, we will be on our way" or "Ladies and Gentlemen, an 80 year old white male in the 7th car is apparetnly having a heart attack, please bear with us as he is fighting for his life"

I hate to sound like a smartass in the above response, but is that what you would want me to say? Im sorry, im not going to do it. If "medical emergency" isn't good enough, well, then call customer service. There are many many many more times when people do stub their toes, trip, fall, etc where there is no delay of the trian required, and the crwe might get permission to leave a crew member with the person on the platform and wait there at the station for EMS.

But the fact of the matter is, if a person requests medical attention, we have to give it to them, and often times medical attnetion is called to be on the safe side too. Because if the person is injured and we didn't "respond to their needs" - i.e. call for medics, the conductor and/or crew is in VERY hot water.

As for the stop signal annoucement, I personally HATE that announcemnt, and I try to give all the details I can, if I konw any. But sometimes, there is no reason that we know of for the stop signal. I have fibbed adn made things up, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are waiting for a train to pass then we will be on our way" - But no train passes and we go, then I look like an idiot. If I know the reason, Ill make the announcemnet, but if I don't know the reason, and I need to make an announcement, that stupid generic announcement (one we are actually "scripted on", along with the medical emergency and trespassor fatality) is the one that will be made.