• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Actually no they are already on the way back
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bracdude181

Stopped at 4th street due to a car parked too close to the tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  by RaritanWatcher

Hi Folks - just joined as I have been following the C&D and its operations. It's great to see this shortline evolving from shared assets.

Quick question - any speculation if C&D/DRRR is going to increase locomotives on this line or keep it to the current number?
Last edited by RaritanWatcher on Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:10 pm And Amerigas propane who has also expressed interest in getting cars again. But to reopen the line just for those two? Doesn’t sound very feasible.

There’s also ABC Building Supply who have a siding on that track, but they get their stuff from Woodhaven so….

Here’s the thing though. Let’s say they don’t reopen the track. If so why are they paying to lease it?
The Toms River was part of the deal. The propane customer that was down is gone. A developer bought the property. Builders has their yard in Freehold. It's easier and more cost effective to truck the materials. ABC gets their materials trucked in from elsewhere. Again, the trucks are more cost effective and business user friendly.
  by Bracdude181

Huh? Amerigas is still there as of yesterday. Trucks parked in there and no signs saying for sale.

I thought BG only went with the trucking from Freehold because Conrail agreed to cover the cost? A lot of the old Conrail crews and some of the longtime railfans told my friend that’s why BG in Toms River stopped getting cars…
  by Bracdude181

@RaritanWatcher The three engines we got will probably stay for a very, very long time and I doubt they will get more engines in the future.
  by JohnFromJersey

Three engines are more than enough for when the FIT-SOUS connection is completed. Maybe they will swap out 2005 for another engine, if it truly has been having issues. Speaking of 2005, I have seen quite a few people post videos on YouTube of the FIT, and it's always 1888 running - I haven't seen 2005 in any of those videos.

I know C&D/BRW lease a ton of engines all over the country, I've seen pics of some of their engines as far away as Virginia on lease.

I don't think freight on the FIT-SOUS will reach a point where needing more than THREE engines will happen, but, never say never. Just a few years ago, no one would expect the FIT and SOUS to be reconnected.
  by pdtrains

Actually, I think 2 engines is enough. To me, it seems like they brought 2 engines to the SOUS as the original idea was to run the freight pull-pull.

IDK if they will occasionally have to swap out engines for inspections or anything.
  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:32 pm Huh? Amerigas is still there as of yesterday. Trucks parked in there and no signs saying for sale.

I thought BG only went with the trucking from Freehold because Conrail agreed to cover the cost? A lot of the old Conrail crews and some of the longtime railfans told my friend that’s why BG in Toms River stopped getting cars…
My understanding was that they gave them a better delivery rate to stop getting cars on the Trit that may have covered the rate that it cost for trucking at that time.
  by JohnFromJersey

pdtrains wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:55 am Actually, I think 2 engines is enough. To me, it seems like they brought 2 engines to the SOUS as the original idea was to run the freight pull-pull.

IDK if they will occasionally have to swap out engines for inspections or anything.
The SOUS has always regularly had more cars than the FIT, and as a result, you would see two engines come down the Southern far more often than you would see them come down the FIT.

Again, I doubt they will need more than 2-3 engines to run the lines combined when the connection is done, but perhaps there will be a boost in traffic once FIT-SOUS is reconnected, and the Southern can get heavier cars. There is a lot of money and time going into this project, and I doubt that it was just to get a once a week lumber train off of NJT, there is obviously some big potential on these lines for that kind of investment