• Defunct Tourist Railroads

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by LocoEngineer

Anybody know of a current list of defunct tourist lines?

I'm doing some research into such failures and the reasons...

LE

by Christian S.

I started a topic just like this one on the old railroad.net and a LOOOOOOOONG list turned up. With the recent update of this website, however, all this information has been erased :( Will see if I can help you when I get the chance...
Last edited by Christian S. on Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Miketherailfan

One of them is the West Shore Railroad in Lewisburg,PA.

by Christian S.

Oh, man! So that railroad fell too, huh? Does anyone know how or why?

BTW, Brandywine Scenic Tourist RR in Chester County, PA also closed down. :(

by Otto Vondrak

How about the Penn's Landing Trolley in Philadelphia?

-otto-

by Urban D Kaye

Queen Anne's RR in Lewes, DE is defunct and their li'l Vulcan and coaches I've heard have moved down to Bethany to become a restaurant. That Vulcan switcher was ex-Wawa & Concordville RR by the way.

And in Jersey there's the Morris County Central.

by dragenrider

This line was so little known until it's no wonder they went under after only a few years of operation: The Ozark Scenic Railway. This train ran on the Missouri & Northern Arkansas' track and traveled from Flippin to Calico Rock, Arkansas along the White River. It was a truly gorgeous run, but poorly advertised and not exactly in a tourist location. :(

The engine is for sell: http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/new_page_121.htm

The cars disappeared about six months back.

by dkgrubb

Unfortunately, the West Virginia Northern in Kingwood, Preston County, West Virginia, was also abandoned and taken up
Keith

by Otto Vondrak

The Livonia, Avon & Lakeville outside of Rochester, NY used to run a steam excursion from the late 1960s until about 1981. The railroad is a very successful freight-only short line, alas the steamers and the coaches are long gone.

-otto-

by Aa3rt

I've somehow managed to miss this topic until this evening. I have a collection of the "Steam Passenger Service Directory" dating back to 1969.
Coincidentally, my first copy is from 1969, that I picked up at the gift shop in Livonia, NY on my first trip to the LA&L. I'm writing from work so I can't reference my books right now, but some failed tourist railroads that come immediately to mind are:

Maryland

Indian Head Central-a short lived line running on the tracks of the U.S. Navy Railroad running from White Plains to Indian Head.

Pennsylvania

Everett-used ex-Morehead and North Fork 2-6-2 #11.

Blairsville-used an ex-Frisco 2-8-0 that came via the Mississippian Railroad. Also rostered an 0-6-0.

New Jersey

Trolley Vallhalla

I'll try to check in tomorrow with more if I can wrest the computer away from my stepson. :wink:

by Otto Vondrak

How about the Westmoreland Scenic Railroad that ran out of Youngwood, Pa.?

-otto-

by med-train

The Niagara and Western NY Railroad Co. Made a grand entrance and exit in one year's time in 2003. Ran on the Falls Road Railroad tracks.

by O-6-O

Adirondack Railroad 79-80

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

by Ken W2KB

Some mentioned the Morris County Central but not the reason. It is my understanding that (1) NIMBYs set fire to parts storage cars, etc. causing loss of a lot of spares and tools, (2) a bearing part on the locomovive was replaced with a wrong hardness material resulting in costly damage, (3) derailment.

The remnant of the equipment and station used is where much of the recent film, now available on DVD at Walmart and elsewhere, "The Stationmaster" was filmed.

by Urban D Kaye

Ken W2KB wrote:The remnant of the equipment and station used is where much of the recent film, now available on DVD at Walmart and elsewhere, "The Stationmaster" was filmed.
You mean... "The Station Agent" .
Yeh Newfoundland NJ...I had the pleasure of riding the Morris County Central back in the 70s. A sad loss.