Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by fordhamroad

-took a ride up to Danbury last week, first in many years. Looked at the new Metro-North/CDOT station and the old station which is now the Rail Museum. Also the Signal Tower Museum South Norwalk. Both make a nice weekend trip. I am suprised Metro North does not promote them as a tour package.
-remembering the old days when the original Danbury station was in use. When did they urban renew the street and buiuld the new station?

-I also remember the old diner which stood across the street from the yard. Where do the railroad men and train crews go now for coffee and lunch?

Roger
  by Tom Curtin

As an up-until-recently long-time resident of Danbury. here's what I recall and know.

1. In what you speak of as "urban-renewing the street"I presume you mean building Patriot Drive. This was done back in 1975. Use of New Haven's old White Street station contrinued for a long time after that --- I would say until about 1990 or so. It was replaced by a temporary shelter beside Patriot Drive while the new station was being built.

2. The current Metro North red brick station and parking lot opened about 1995 or 96.

3. The Holiday Diner on White Street was the crews' long time chowing spot. As far as I know it's still very much in business.

by DutchRailnut

It sure does Tom and under new managment the food is even better.
  by fordhamroad

...Guess I missed it amid all the newer construction. Will have to try the diner next trip. Thanks

Roger