• Custom machined steam locomotive driving wheels

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by CRIP 424

Greetings,

I have a AHM "Casey Jones" 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the rear geared driving locked up & snapped some of the spokes off & bent the driving rods. I recently was able to purchase another Casey Jones locomotive off of eBay for parts, but before I reassemble the good locomotive, does anyone know a machine shop that could use the good wheelset & make a few sets of wheels in case this happens again. Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

Regards,

by conrail71

Hey,
I work in the "machine industry" and I could say without much hesitation that the cost of machining new drivers would be more expensive than cruising train shows or e-Bay and buying 5 or 6 parts engines. Have you considered maybe a resin casting or a lost wax casting sort of method? This may cost a bit less. I know AHM/ Rivarossi dropped this engine from their line back in the late 70's but there are still a few around. YOu could also try a detail company like Precision Scale Co. inc. they carry some different steam drivers.

by scopelliti

Have you looked at emachineshop.com?