Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by 35dtmrs92

I used to live in NYC and took the N train regularly from Ditmars Blvd. to Manhattan. I have always thought of what life would be like if the Queensboro Plaza curve or, for the matter, any of the tight curves on the system was realigned. I want this forum to be about what we think are the worst curves on the system and what it would take to realign them.

by Jeff Smith

I think a few of the EL curves are pretty bad. For instance, the 2/5 in the Bronx at/around 180th St. where the line basically just takes a right and then a left. The curve on the original IRT at 42nd (now partially the shuttle). The curve on the 4/5/6 from Park to 42nd to Lex through GCT. The old South Ferry and City Hall stations. The former 3rd Av El in the Bronx at Gun Hill.

by jersey_guy

Nothing beats the two 90-degree turns on the J line between Crescent St and Cypress Hills in Brooklyn!!

by L'mont

What about the 2/3 on the uptown side of Park Place? Anywhere that needs the rails greased is bad!

by Gerry6309

All those curves are there for the same reason: To avoid condemning private property or parkland. Keeping the lines in the city streets lowers construction costs at the cost of a little wheel squeal.

A relatively recent example here in Boston (actually Cambridge) is the curve just inbound from Harvard (constructed in the 1980s). It ranks right up there with Crescent St. on the J. And that's on a line where the other curves are designed for not less than 35 mph. (though limited to 25 by the %@$#!! signal system)

Even the IND in NYC is not without sharp curves. 53rd St. and Hoyt St. are good examples.

by Paul1705

I read speculation once on a message board about replacing the Crescent Street curves by building a new alignment along Jamaica Avenue between Broadway Junction and Cypress Hills. That doesn't sound like a bad plan, except there would probably be opposition from the residents along the south side of the avenue. (Highland Park is on the north side.)

Anyway, I don't think there ever was any official interest in that idea.