• CSXT Praises BLET Contract Ratification

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by LCJ

Jacksonville, Fla. - April 20, 2007 - CSX Transportation (CSXT) today
praised the new performance bonus-based labor agreement with the
Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET), saying it would
contribute to the continued success of CSXT and its employees.

"We are very pleased that the CSXT engineers opted for an agreement that
allows them to participate in and benefit from CSXT's financial
success," said Tony Ingram, executive vice president and chief operating
officer.

"I congratulate the negotiating teams for their success in creating an
agreement that recognizes the significant contribution of our
engineers," Ingram said. "Changes in scheduling will provide more
predictable work schedules, improving the safety of our employees and
service to our customers."

The BLET announced this week that its members have ratified the
agreement, which covers 5,200 CSXT locomotive engineers. The employees
receive a 3 percent pay increase and $2,500 salary bonus. In lieu of
future pay increases, the employees are eligible for performance bonuses
of 6 percent, 8 percent and 10 percent respectively, based on their
earnings in 2007, 2008 and 2009, if the company meets its financial and
strategic goals in those years.

CSX Transportation Inc. is a principal operating company of CSX
Corporation. CSX Corporation, based in Jacksonville, Fla., is one of the
leading transportation companies, providing rail, intermodal and
rail-to-truck transload services. The company's transportation network
spans 21,000 miles with service to 23 eastern states and the District of
Columbia, and connects to more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports. More
information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at
the company's web site, www.csx.com.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

We got drilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by LCJ

Interesting response.

by Noel Weaver

Ordinarily, I would have favored a contract like this one. With Conrail I
would have no problem with it. My concern with CSX is that they are
letting the property go downhill and it could eventually reach a point where
the company could not make a decent profit from their operations. This
is what happened to Penn Central years ago, I hope it does not happen
again with CSX. Time will tell.
Bottom line, I would have had a hard time making a decision whether to
vote to accept this or not.
Noel Weaver

by CSX-COAL HAULER

Noel Weaver wrote:Ordinarily, I would have favored a contract like this one.

Have you read the whole contract or just this crazy press release? The press release does not tell that we agreed to give up half of our guarntee if we miss a day on a FRI-SAT-or SUN---I hope my fellow employees kids never get sick or in any kind of serious accident on the weekend---and you know with the new modern day water heaters---they never bust on the weekend. This is just crazy! And as far as the performance bonus-that is ONLY if the company meets its goals----I would rather have a raise up front than have a bonus based on company performance-------------it all smells fishy to me-----but what do I know!

by Lmcgolf

Coal,

IF you miss 1 day they will take 1/2 of your guarantee. However, they can not take away from the money you have already earned in that pay period. If you get enough starts to make more than the guarantee then it won't be an issue.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

Lmcgolf wrote:Coal,
If you get enough starts to make more than the guarantee then it won't be an issue.
Yeah--I understand the contract-thats why I voted NO. Right now we are swamped because a bridge is out on another division---what about those guys--they are not working right now----if their wife has a heart attack on Friday night and they call in sick----there goes half their check. A $2500.00 signing bonus is nothing-----ask some OLDHEADS what kind of money they use to get for contract payouts! WE GOT DRILLED! [/b]

by roadster

I wonder why this contract didn't include the former CR territories. We're still lookin at the national contract, which is crap to say the least. But I think it's better than what this thing was. As it stands right now, most of my brothers/sisters that I've discussed this with, won't accept the national agreement.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

:P Don't get me wrong---there was some good things in this contract. But overall I do not like it----I think we gave in way to fast. I have heard that the vote was 60% for it and 40% against it-----majority wins. I hope yall do better! :-D

by roadster

I hear ya Coal, thanks, Good luck, meet them goals and make some money. Ironic in a time of record profits, the less the contract employees get.

by CSX Conductor

Whenever the company is excited, we need to be worried.

One important stipulation on the bonuses is that they will be paid if the company reaches it's goals, which is a crap-shoot. :P :(

by conrail_engineer

roadster wrote:I wonder why this contract didn't include the former CR territories. We're still lookin at the national contract, which is crap to say the least. But I think it's better than what this thing was. As it stands right now, most of my brothers/sisters that I've discussed this with, won't accept the national agreement.
One of the give-backs includes an abolishment of the "bump" - that is, instead of having 60 hours to make a move once displaced by a senior employee, displaced employees are to be immediately reassigned.

The reassignment will be handled according to a "preference list" entered in the computer - and if none of the "preferences" are available, the displaced employee will be assigned to the extraboard in his district/subdistrict.

The "bump" is THE ONLY TIME SOME OF US CAN GET AWAY FROM WORK. Many former CR pools don't have assigned rest days. Many more aren't worked properly...a man is called eight hours before his rest day; he has to take the call. He may get A rest day; but not his assigned day.

How can you plan doctor's appointments, other scheduled events, that way?

Another sticking point is a timeliness factor in paying claims. I am not sure of the details...but apparently the new contract no longer requires a payment or denial of claims by a certain time frame.

Payroll "Research" is going to just become another trash can for claims the company chooses not to pay.

In addition...we are promised a bonus for signing; but our co-pay on health insurance is going WAY up. In the end we get nothing...but lose a lot.

by h81627allegheny

Hate to say it but those of us that are in Transportation on NS are glad you got Ingram...we hated this guy! Look what he has allready implemented at CSX just during his tenure...evn in the management ranks...

Dave

by jg greenwood

conrail_engineer wrote:
roadster wrote:I wonder why this contract didn't include the former CR territories. We're still lookin at the national contract, which is crap to say the least. But I think it's better than what this thing was. As it stands right now, most of my brothers/sisters that I've discussed this with, won't accept the national agreement.
One of the give-backs includes an abolishment of the "bump" - that is, instead of having 60 hours to make a move once displaced by a senior employee, displaced employees are to be immediately reassigned.

The reassignment will be handled according to a "preference list" entered in the computer - and if none of the "preferences" are available, the displaced employee will be assigned to the extraboard in his district/subdistrict.

The "bump" is THE ONLY TIME SOME OF US CAN GET AWAY FROM WORK. Many former CR pools don't have assigned rest days. Many more aren't worked properly...a man is called eight hours before his rest day; he has to take the call. He may get A rest day; but not his assigned day.

How can you plan doctor's appointments, other scheduled events, that way?

Another sticking point is a timeliness factor in paying claims. I am not sure of the details...but apparently the new contract no longer requires a payment or denial of claims by a certain time frame.

Payroll "Research" is going to just become another trash can for claims the company chooses not to pay.

In addition...we are promised a bonus for signing; but our co-pay on health insurance is going WAY up. In the end we get nothing...but lose a lot.
"Abolishment of the Bump." They must have adopted this from the IC. We've had this "standing bid" system in effect for quite some time now. You're correct, when bumped you're immediately placed on the next job as per your card. No pass go, no 24/48/72-hours to place, benefits no one but the carrier. Gotta love it....... :wink:

by Cowford

As the resident management crank who thrives on stirring the pot here : ) let me interject some points:

Point 1: If CSX felt they got hosed in a contract settlement, do you think they would come out and say so? For those who say "yes," I have a bridge I'd love to sell you.

Point 2: IF CSX is "letting the property go downhill" in the name of short term profits, as some would hypothesize, wouldn't that help this contract, as the bonuses are scheduled in the short-term ('07-'09)?

Point 3: One of CSX's biggest staffing challenges is employee availability. Does everyone reading this understand the problems caused by booking off because there's a big (fill in the blank) race/game on today? Do you really think that UPS, et al. give a crap... "Gee, I'm sorry we didn't deliver that those trailers, the Indy 500 was on..." So, how can you blame 'em for trying to instill some attendance discipline? Which brings me to...

Point 4: The life of a T&E employee is unenviable. Long hours, no schedule, significant away-from-home time, boredom... I don't think anyone denies that. I've seen it written in this forum that T&E employees get paid for the life they lead, not the job they do. Putting the emotions aside, T&E folks are compensated pretty well... look at an OH factory worker that just got his pay cut from $28/hr to $14/hr and you may be saying, "there but for the grace of God go I." Your bitches are largely (and justifiably) lifestyle issues; right-or-wrong, $ is usually chosen over quality of life.