• CSXT Coal question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by roberttosh

Just as a matter of curiousity, wondering where the CXST Unit Coal trains that head East from the Cumberland area towards DC and Baltimore end up? Are most for export or are there many utilities on that line that receive unit trains? Thanks!

by chuchubob

Perhaps V779 from Grafton WV to Palermo NJ and V877 from Holden-22 WV to Carneys Point NJ
  by 10more years

I think csx runs an export terminal at Baltimore. NS used to and probably still does, runs a major export facility at Norfolk.

There are a bunch of coal plants on, and off the CSX A-line, also some co-generation plants that get unit trains. The Richmond Wheelwright plant used to average 150 coal cars a day (that's 150 loads in & another 150 empties out.)

Weldon, NC, Franklin, VA and Rocky Mount, NC all have co-generation plants ( I think Franklin has a co-generation plant, I know they coal trains there.).

Wilmington, NC has at least one coal burning power plant and they do some export, I think, at Leland (outside of Wilmington on the Cape Fear). Lumberton, NC has a plant, too.

There are several plants down in SC and Florida.
It wouldn't surprise me if 25% of the trains that ran down the A-line were either coal or grain. (Somewhere there's a real big hole in the ground and there's a big corn field, too).

by roberttosh

Thanks for the info! I didn't think any of those Coal trains going via Brunswick and DC went that far South (i.e the Carolinas and FL).
  by 10more years

Man, if it wasn't for the coal, and grain, the regular pools and extra boards would starve, or be cut back to minimum crews.

I'm not sure if they're still doing it or not, but for a while CSX was importing coal from South America and running coal trains from either Charleston or Savannah up to Charlotte. They said it was cheaper to barge it (or ship it) and then run it by train that way rather than by train out of West Va.

by scooter3798

There are a couple of trains that come off of the Mon line in PA, head east through Cumberland and then south. I see the U306 fairly regularly and it heads to South Carolina. There are also a couple of other U300 series, I think 323 and 326, or something like that, that use a similar routing, and also two or three V100 series trains that I believe go to Florida, although they seem to be less common than the U300's. There are also a couple of Powder River trains that operate over CSX to the Baltimore area, U839 was a regular for a while but has dropped off as of late, usually was an all UP consist as well.

Scooter

by steamman5320

There is a large NS coal yard in Norfolk, VA, Lamberts point. But it pales in comparison to the CSXT coal yard in Newport News, VA. That place is HUGE.