• CSX train symbol question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by tapper13

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding CSX train symbols. I apologize if this question has been asked before as I am fairly new to this site. When a train's three number symbol is followed by another two digit number, what does this mean? An example of this would be Q416-23. I photograph the River Line mostly and usually the symbols are of the three digit variety (e.g. Q111) but occasionally I will hear the extra number added and was curious as to what this was. Thanks in advance for any answers.

by charlie6017

The second number would be the day of the month it originated. An example is Q111-26: it originated on the 26th.....

by tapper13

Thank you for the answer to my question. I appreciate the info. One more symbol related question, I have heard occasionally a train such as Q110, run as L110. What is the significance of the change in letter?

by charlie6017

I THINK those are normally trains that originate on Sunday........I'm not sure why CSX changes the letter for those trains.

by CSX Conductor

Q= Regular scheduled
L= Extra section on schedlued days off
X- Extra
S- Second section or supplemental

A,B,C,D,F,M,N= Locals, the letter is for the region, ie, Albany Division locals are B's

E= Coal

by charlie6017

Thanks, CSX Conductor! ;-)

by CSX Conductor

Also, "K" is used for unit trains, ie, unit ethanol, unit rock trains, etc.

by TheChessieCatLives

I see that you guys forgot one letter that has to do with the "Q" Series freight trains.

"R" Series trains are the rerouted form of the "Q" trains.

by NaDspr

"P" trains are passenger, circus or CSX business car trains. "Z" trains are foreign (to CSX) railroad trains.

by CSX Conductor

And I've heard of some "V"s also, possibly another coal symbol.

by Erwin

In Virginia we also have H, like the H774. And the F, like F773.

H774 = Richmond - Newport news, H775 is Newport News - Richmond

F773 is Collier - Richmond and back. (same number)

D as in D794 Richmond - Fredericksbuirg and back

Locals are called Y, example Y124, Y for yard, 3 diggit is job number, 1 standing for first shift.

Oh.. and W for worktrains.

Erwin

by scooter3798

E's for empties
N, T, U, V, and W are used for coal trains.
Also some coal trains will run as a turn using the same symbol as a load and an empty, where as others run with one symbol loaded and an E symbol empty.

G's are used for grain trains

A, B, C, D, F, H, J, M, and O are assigned to locals based on division. These symbols are also used for helper assignments.

Y is used for yard jobs.

CSX also uses the numbers to differentiate train type for the Q and R series and their derivative symbols such as the L, S, and X series. For them the numbering is as follows
100's - Intermodal
200's - Autoparts
300's - Northern East/West corridor trains (general frieght)
400's - Eastern North/South corridor trains (general frieght)
500's - Western North/South corridor trains (general frieght)
600's - Cross Corridor trains (general freight)

The different number series also are used for differentiating destinations for the other series as well.

Scooter