• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by cpf354

codasd wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:48 pm I believe most of it is a rail trail now through Acton, Chelmsford , and Lowell. I think it ran by the old Wang buildings by Rt. 3 and the Lowell Connector. As Newpy mentioned it ended in Lowell at the wye just north of Gorham Street.
Yes, that's right, it's entirely abandoned with a rail trail occupying most the northern end. The wye in Lowell might still be in place.
  by cpf354

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:14 pm This is the Pan Am clearance map from their website. I guess we can now assume that the tracks going towards Revere can be yellow allowing for Plate F. But for how far does anyone know? Can they access the Revere Branch?

Also for the Fitchburg branch, it shows it is cleared for only about 2/3 of the way unlike the other two main lines. Is that still the case? Is there any reason that only part of this trackage is cleared?

If this map is accurate I guess Plate F cars will have to go via Lowell only. But the map shows double-stacks allowed only to "Crescent" from the west and not Mechanicville for some reason so maybe an update is in order.

I understand Plate F cars can't clear at the Porter Sq station in Cambridge on the Fitchburg Route, about 3 miles out of Boston. It was an issue a few years ago when they had to detour freights that way due to a wash-out on the Stony Brook in Littleton.
  by stevefol

Is PanAm running any cars into the Produce Center right now? Via LA-1 / BO-1?
  by PBMcGinnis

Yes, Pan Am has been servicing the Produce Center in Chelsea via Lawrence Yard since April 2018 when CSXT traded it off for running rights up the Worcester Main to Ayer.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by newpylong

Pan Am served it long before that as a joint customer but in May of 2018 CSXT gave up their rights.
  by stevefol

OK, so next question - is this a daily service? That's pretty much how it was when CSX were running boxcars down the Grand Junction every day.
  by Backshophoss

Any ideas if Waterville Shops will stay active under CSX?
Or will Waterville be spun off as a contract rebuild shop?
  by PBMcGinnis

Nope, not a chance. Waterville and East Deerfield Shops will have all their work moved to Selkirk. Maybe not in Year One, but certainly on the horizon in the next 2-3 years. Get your photos at both servicing facilities while you can.

The only way they stay open is if for some reason CSX decides to sell the facilities off to a firm that does locomotive rebuilding work. But that is unlikely since many rebuilders across the country right now are closing, such as VMV in Paducah, KY etc. The wages for one would also be far below what the crafts at Pan Am get paid now.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: UNNECESSARY QUOTING
  by newpylong

No one has the answer to that question this early in the game. Buy my hunch is the shops as far as CSX is concerned are redundant to Selkirk's heavy repair facilities.
  by newpylong

PBMcGinnis wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:58 am Waterville and East Deerfield Shops will have all their work moved to Selkirk. Maybe not in Year One, but certainly on the horizon in the next 2-3 years.
I wouldn't call the game so fast on Deerfield because that depends heavily on what happens with the joint partnership. The engine shops at Binghamton (for NS) are only light repair and further than Selkirk for them. So the plug may not be able to be pulled so easily.
  by Backshophoss

The possibility of a split sell off looms large to keep the STB from screaming monopoly at CSX, Selling the B&M mainline to NS/PAS From Rotterdam Jct to Ayer
  by Shortline614

So I assume if CSX manages to buy Pan Am Railways, it becomes apart of the Albany Division? I wonder what CSX will rename the districts too? Any ideas?
  by Rockingham Racer

The New England Subdivision comes to mind. Or the Merrimack Sudivision [after the Merrimack River between Lowell and Haverhill.