• CSX Riverline update

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by fw2008

Hi;
I'm building a model of the CSX Riverline from Bayonne NJ to Selkirk NY, in Trainz TRS2006 RR simulator.
I am using Google Earth and MS Virtual Earth, as well as TransDem Trainz Edition for getting map info onto my route in Trainz.
I am currently looking for some good, recent info on some parts of the Riverline I cannot see in Google Earth.

1) There is supposedly a new passing track at Bear Mountain/ Ft. Montgomery? CP43??
2) Somewhere just south of Kingston the Google maps lose all resolution. I need details on passing tracks. I know of one at Cornwall on the Hudson to Newburgh, which is CP52 to CP55, and I think there's another at Kingston, somewhere around MP75, but isn't there one at Roseton?

3) Everything north of Kingston to Selkirk is a blur on the Google map, but luck has it that the entire Selkirk yard is visible and detail may be good enough for me to model it.

Are there any excursions up the RL this summer?

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

FW
  by Railjunkie

The new passing siding at QR 43.0 to 45.2 is listed as South Ft Montgomery and North Ft Montgomery. the siding length is 10000ft. The siding at Kingston runs from CP 76 to CP 80 with CP 78 a universal cross over in the middle. The siding is 12518ft. The only thing I see listed at Roseton is a dragging equipment detector.

North of Kingston there are a couple of points you may want to modle, one being the Alsen yard and the cement plants located there and further north in the town of Ravena there is a Lafarge stone quarry and cement plant.

Hope this helps.
  by Noel Weaver

The siding at Kingston runs from CP-87 at the south end to CP-90 at the north end. Length of the Kingston siding is
15,032 feet and it is considered a controlled siding but not a signaled siding and all movements are made at restricted
speed.
The siding mentioned in the last post runs in two parts CP 76 to CP-78 and from CP-78 to CP-80. It is a signaled siding with
rule 261 in effect. There is a universal crossover between the siding and the main track at CP-78. Length of this one is
12,518 feet between CP-76 and CP-78 and 11,522 feet between CP-78 and CP-80. This siding is known as Park siding.
Noel Weaver
  by Railjunkie

Half asleep and not qualified on the PCs, my bad.
  by fw2008

Thanks guys; The info you gave me will be very helpful.
I was mistaken about Roseton. I recall hearing the DED on my radio from Cornwall and Bear Mtn.
I think I'll have to take a trip up to Bear Mtn sometime, but when the weather is cooler. I like to hike up there.
I wonder whether a trip up the Hudson line on Amtrak or MNCR with a pair of binoculars would help.
The morning would give me the best lighting on the RL. It would be nice if I had a 300mm or longer lens for my Nikon D200, but that's not in my budget.

It looks from the Google maps that two of the bad s-curves south of West Point have been eliminated, and new bridges built.
I recall standing trackside at one when a southbound came past, and hearing the screeching wheels in my head for hours afterwards.
About 6mos after that visit, there was a derailment in that spot.

The Google maps are really good for the Jersey City, Kearny, and south areas. That's a good thing, as I really don't want to visit any of those areas, although I am planning to ride the NJT Light Rail south to it's terminus so that I can have a better look at the "National Docs" secondary track.

For my modeling, I am unsure as to whether or not I will include some of the now abandoned track. The loops at the old CP Nave were interesting. I took a drive down there one day, took some photos from an overpass, but saw no trains. That was before the new Secaucus connections and expansions.

Last night, I think I completed the NJT Hoboken yard. That was the most difficult modeling I have ever done. I'm still not sure how many of the crossovers are slip switches and what are just crossovers. I am going to take a few rides on NJT in the near future, and hopefully get a better look.
I am wondering how much photography I will be allowed to take on NJT, Amtrak, and PATH.
I still have OI, Kearny, and the big one up in SK to do. But freight yards won't be as difficult as the passenger was. At least they don't use so many slip switches and crossovers<g>.

Then, there is Journal Square... it's impossible to see it completely using Google maps, since it's underground. I guess another trip on PATH is mandated there.
And what about Penn Station, NYC and Newark? Where does it end? It started with just the Riverline, but of course I had to include part of the Suzy-Q since it runs alongside, and NJT, Amtrak. My route runs south to Bayonne, west past Newark Airport, and north all the way to Selkirk. I think I can get NYP in as well, but unsure as to whether i might not just use a Trainz "Portal" to end the line at the Hudson.

Sorry for getting a bit long here, but there is so much to talk about.

Thanks again

FW
  by Holtz

Another good source for aerial photos is Nasa Worldwind. Doesn't have as many high res photos that Google Earth does but in places where Google Earth lacks any photos, the USGS Digital Ortho photos are better then nothing!
  by fw2008

I took a look at NASA World Wind, and it doesn't have any better ortho data than MS or Google. I wouldn't have expected anything different, as all of the photos are taken by NASA anyway.
I use mostly Google Earth because it works nicely with TransDem, which I have been using to create my Trainz 2006 models.

FW