• CSX pulling trains over 10000 FT

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Wanderer

roadster wrote:Thats when the next 2 hrs a maintainer is there.
The detector at Guy Park is also notorious for adding extra axles to the count. Not quite as extreme, but anywhere from 2-6.

by roadster

thats correct Russ, actually consider 2 varieties. either heavy Dynamic brakes, independant brakes, or even shoving into a yard to hard with too much trailing tonage behind mty's and away they go. Also, pulling hard on a curvy grade (the B&A) and the mtys get "shoestringed", basically trying to straighten out the curve. Not to say that as with reality, not everyone catches an error. And somewhere along the way an "OPPS" occures. My practice is to inform the Trainmaster of the problem and let him order me out so the heat is off of me for accepting the train to go. It's still on me to operate the train safely. Also, why Intermodals involved in switching operations are restricted to 5 MPH to keep any possible damages to a minimum.

by CSX Engineer 98

roadster wrote:CSX Eng.98 I suggest you refer to your equipment handling Rule book. #4402: Intermodal on other than the water level route can not exceed more than 9,000 tons or 10,000 ft.. The size limitations are by either tonage or length. Water Level Route can not exceed 12,000 tons or 14,000 ft. Both your Q283 and Q114 exceeded these limits and should have been refused untill ordered by a supervisor to depart. I refused a 14,400 TV and they opted to cut off the excess length. Very few Supervisors will risk accepting that kind of responsability. I'm not sure where you get the impression that Dewitt people are lazy. They switch out more Intermodals than any other NE terminal. Your above mentioned Rule book spells out how trains are blocked including the placement of empties mixed in with loads. Empties do not have to be on the rear only mixed in with a certain amount of loads. I handled a mixed frieght with 35 empties on the headend with 1 load in the middle, followed by 78 loads. With the one load splitting the empties it complied with the rule book. I might also suggest you please refrain from the name calling on these forums
I know the rules...I do what Im told,
I tried the radio announced refusal Before and all the B.S. That followed with the Senior Road Forman and Superintendant showing up and Hassleing is Not worth the Crap you have to deal with. Also Noticed getting Jumped and Missing my assigned trains Back to My home terminal 30+ hours in a Sh!t Hole motel Sucks.... I do what Im asked and everything goes well.

Dont shoot me any Union B.S. about standing Behind me and having my Back Either.... :P :P :P Ya Right!!

As Ive been out of work for 2 years with an Illness that I could actually work with according to a specific union article. But wont do anything about it "Cause it will cause a stir" Quoting my local chairman and general chairman. as the article entitiles me to hold a job a senior engineer to me holds and I can finnish out me 30 as Untouchable.

by roadster

I guess refusal was a bit strong wording. What I mean, is to Inform the trainmaster that there is an issue with a specific rule and if they still say you must go, you have to go, but their order relieves you of the responcability of taking a train exceeding a rule book standard. If something occures, thats one less thing they can throw at you. Sorry for your issues and I am all to familiar with Union short comings. I hope your situation gets resolved for you soon. Take care, Brother

by CSX Engineer 98

Its all good... :wink:

by mu26aeh

Not that I have much to add to this discussion, but want to be included, I was sitting at crossing outside of Hanover, PA this afternoon when I caught a Rock Runner returning to Bittingner mine from Baltimore, had 62 cars, 2 SD50s (8540, 8514) and SD40-2 (8241) as power, totalling 266 axles.

by TheChessieCatLives

One of the grain trains that went by here yesterday stopped and from one signal to the other, it was about two and one tenths miles in length.