• CSX operations in Illinois

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by cifn2

I was through Flora,IL today along the CSX St. Louis to Vincennes,IN Line, runs through several spots, Vincennes, Bridgeport, they have local ops in Lawrenceville, and they go through Noble, Flora, Iuka, I can't think of all the other locations.

Anyways I saw a couple of UP's rolling west with a long train of car racks. They were moving slow due to some track work just west of Flora, they are replacing ties and also there was a broken rail west of town near the Belle Crossing not to long ago. Those are the first UP's I have saw going through, even though I hear them all the time on the scanner. I shortly after that I heard a BNSF going eastbound. Would have been a great evening for some shots of trains I guess. But I missed out, and haven't started taking photos yet.

by tom56

This line runs from Washington, Ind. to East St. Louis. My son is a conductor for CSX and this is usually his run. Looking forward to taking some great pics to post. He ususally text messages me when he is coming through Olney, Ill., where I live or if they are on a siding close by. They have been doing alot of work on this line and alot of the trains have only been running at night. They are starting to get the work done and are starting to get regular schedules again.

by cifn2

ya the work in IL is done now they are working on vincennes, and Terre Haute those city crossings really needed it from the news reports, the news think they are the ones that got the work done... it was planned lol..

by cw cabin

tom56 wrote:This line runs from Washington, Ind. to East St. Louis. My son is a conductor for CSX and this is usually his run. Looking forward to taking some great pics to post. He usually text messages me when he is coming through Olney, Ill., where I live or if they are on a siding close by. They have been doing alot of work on this line and alot of the trains have only been running at night. They are starting to get the work done and are starting to get regular schedules again.
Hello from the other end of this line (Cincinnati). This line runs alittle farther east than Washington Ind. Thats the Ill. Subdivision, don't forget about the Ind. Division to Cincinnati. This line is intact from St. Louis to Cincinnati.

by tom56

Yes, it does run to Cincinnati. But my son usually catches his trains out of Washington, Ind. Alot of them come up from Louisville, Ky. also. Glad to meet you.

by cw cabin

We have 3 westbound autorack trains running from Cincinnati to Louisville over this line. I'd love to see more through freights running between St. Louis and Cincinnati but some is better than none. Hope CSX sees the possible value of the line and keeps it open. Happy railfanning! :-)

by tom56

As many new conductors that CSX has hired over the past serveral months, maybe they are going to expand some lines. I know there are alot of retiring going on right now but they have hired all across the country. I would love to see more freight trains across the Illinois Sub and Indiana Sub.

by cifn2

they have hired alot? I wish I could get a job in the IL subdivision but all the jobs they have are out of Evansville, IN or other locations

by tom56

There are a couple of conductors that work out of the Washington, Ind. to East St. Louis run from Flora. I will find out there names for you. You may know them.

by Scotty Burkhardt

Thus far I've had little luck in catching CSX on the New Rock sub (Blue Island to Ottawa IL.) I know they're a rare catch, but I'd like to have more info on them. HELP??

by railohio

Runs mostly at night. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do that line myself. :(

by chicagorails

csx in ottawa is a west bound morning train 7am - 9am nite east bound 11pm- midnite.
also iowa interstate runs east in morning thru ottawa 7-9am and w bound afternoon -evening. a yard in ottawa usually has 2 - 6 engines . also ill rail link runs on old bn line ottawa daily

by brianpwestgate

I'm surprised that CSX hasn't transferred all their operations on the ROCK to Iowa Interstate. What keeps them running out there and why did the B&O want with it some 25 years ago?