• CSX Local info for NEC train out of Cedar Hill

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by emtpjimd

Question - I am trying to get some shots of the CSX local out of Cedar Hill (New Haven, CT) that runs southbound to serve the Stratford Industrial track and the Bridgeport area. How often does it run, when can I expect to see it, and lastly what do I need to listen for on the corridor dispatch freq' on the scanner?

by CSX Conductor

I can't re-call of the top of my head, but I believe you are referring to B747 which works M-F in the morning. I will double check the comuter when I get a chance. As for radio frequency, it would be the Metro-North frequency for the New Haven Line west of the Amtrak/Metro-North division post.

by MNRR_RTC

I know that the B747 goes to Bridgeport in the late mornings during the week after the rush hour ends. The B748 goes to the industrial track 5 at night. The B&M guys work the Waterbury usually 1 to 2 times a week and the PW CT2 goes by New Haven Station just about every night.

by temstcfd

What is industrial track 5? And where do the B&M guys work on the waterbury. One other thing there is a siding just south of beacon falls which gets tank cars. Whne is that serviced?

by MNRR_RTC

temstcfd wrote:What is industrial track 5? And where do the B&M guys work on the waterbury. One other thing there is a siding just south of beacon falls which gets tank cars. Whne is that serviced?
Industrial track 5 is the track between New Haven and Milford station that is used exclusively by CSX to service the industries. One of the CSX employees here can tell you which industries that are there. The B&M guys usually work sporadically on the Beacon Falls siding there to service Peter Paul and a chemical place. If they usually call to come out, it may be on a Wednesday and they follow 1951 down and go up after 1963 goes by block limit Hat. There is also a stone siding switch in Waterbury that they also use on occasion.
  by emtpjimd

Does anyone have any history or further info on the Stratford industrial/secondary track that runs off the New Haven line between MP 57 and MP 58? What is it referred to as? I had heard rumors it was built during the Penn Central era, but not sure. I know CSX did a lot of work on it a few years back. Anyone have a track map? A MNCR Trainmaster mentioned that MN maintains the grade crossing protection, but CSX maintains the track...just trying to get a little info on the line.
  by MNRR_RTC

emtpjimd wrote:Does anyone have any history or further info on the Stratford industrial/secondary track that runs off the New Haven line between MP 57 and MP 58? What is it referred to as? I had heard rumors it was built during the Penn Central era, but not sure. I know CSX did a lot of work on it a few years back. Anyone have a track map? A MNCR Trainmaster mentioned that MN maintains the grade crossing protection, but CSX maintains the track...just trying to get a little info on the line.
It used to be part of the New Haven Line but is was reduced to an industrial track because is would been expensive to maintain all the switches to the different industries that was being served by the freight railroads. This was the info I got from some of the old timers.