• CSX in Buffalo in 1987

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by the cowboy

I believe that the C&O trains that entered the U.S. at Niagara Falls or Fort Erie terminated in Bison Yard, after it opened in the mid-60's.
  by JoeS

Just to clarify an earlier post, the C&O used the Erie-Lackawanna (ex-Erie) Niagara Falls branch to reach Bison Yard. In the 1960s and early 1970s there were two C&O trains in each direction every day.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that after C-Day in 1976 this traffic shifted to use the International Bridge at Fort Erie.
  by charlie6017

Thank you, duly noted!

Charlie
  by Engineer Spike

Sea Land was owned by CSX. Based on this thread, I'm curious about the route of the stack trains to NYS&W. I know NYS&W ran Little Ferry-Binghamton. D&H had Binghamton-Buffalo. I thought D&H handed them to CSX, who took them to BN in Chicago.
  by johnpbarlow

I believe you are correct as, IIRC, the Sealand double stack trains, established in 1984 as SLEB east and SLWB west, would use the B&O between Chicago and Eidenau, PA and then use then B&O's BR&P line via Salamanca to/from Buffalo to connect with D&H. But the Wikipedia entry for G&W's Rochester and Southern RR says B&O sold off the lines that would become G&W's Buffalo and Pittsburgh RR and Rochester and Southern RR in 1986. So I'm wondering if the Sea Land double stack train ended prior to B&O's unloading of the ex-BR&P. Also, B&O ceased to be an operating entity in 1987 when CSX Transportation was founded.
  by Matt Langworthy

Chessie sold off the ROW for the R&S in 1986, followed by the B&P in 1988. As I recall, the connection with the D&H was right in greater Buffalo. Chessie did run stack trains on what is now the B&P circa 1987, but I don't think they were Sealand.
  by charlie6017

Engineer Spike wrote:Sea Land was owned by CSX. Based on this thread, I'm curious about the route of the stack trains to NYS&W. I know NYS&W ran Little Ferry-Binghamton. D&H had Binghamton-Buffalo. I thought D&H handed them to CSX, who took them to BN in Chicago.
To answer your question, I know the trains ran west on NS's former Nickel Plate line and likely interchanged in Ohio
to CSX for the remainder of the trip to Chicago.

Caveat, this is an educated guess but I have seen video of stack trains from the 90's on this line with NYSW power,
usually the SD70M's they used to own.

Charlie
  by lvrr325

Trains ran Conrail into Buffalo after CSX sold off the BR&P. Eventually (1994) they ran all the way to Syracuse. Not sure where they came off CSX.

NYS&W later added a train that interchanged with NS, the SD70M's were fnanced by NS and purchased for that service.