• CSX Geometry Train stalls with Clinton and Schumer on board

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

So... anyone hear about the CSX Geometry Train that died somewhere along the Mohawk Division? Apparently the engines died... while passing an outlawed train. Both main tracks are blocked. Train was on its way to inspect the wreck site at Oneida. Oh and by the way, Senators Schumer and Clinton are aboard. This all transpired in the last few hours, as told to me by a CSX conductor.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by WNYP431

Chessie Strikes Again....

....we can put a man on the moon, but.....oh, never mind. I'll never stop if I get started now....

...I guess as long as the space shuttle doesn't start taking off with "CSX Transportation" on the hatch doors, we'll all be alright. Whoof.

Chess-C.

by JoeCollege

Wow. This is so loaded with symbolism I might pass out!

Classic, and on a Monday no less. Might as well change the name to Taggart Transcontinental.

Who is John Galt?

by railwatcher

Dear Hillary and Chuck,

Sometimes it is better to miss the train! Sorry, you made it.

by lakeshoredave

There is nothing wrong with a train breaking down on an important mainline.

Signed,
Penn Central, Rock Island, and Guilford Rail Systems

War Having Track That Is Worse Than A Model Railroad

by roadster

FYI, it wasn't the engines that failed it was the geometry cars. Something to do with the computer and the testing equipment under the car. Train was forwarded to Dewitt after the equipment was retracted clear. Repairs will be made at Dewitt, and the trip will resume on wednesday. train is currently stored by the westend locker room. I dought Hill and Chucky will be back. That is now the latest joke, that the track conditions were so bad, the computer crashed.

by Otto Vondrak

Speaking to some CSX people who were on the train, I am being told that neither Clinton nor Schumer were on board. Just another crazy railroad rumor, I guess. Unless you count Joseph Boardman as a VIP.

by Conrail4evr

Well, I tried catching that thing out here to no avail. Tried to get ahead of him, but even at 60 MPH, he still passed me...that's what I get for assuming he'd be going slower!

by conrail_engineer

Otto Vondrak wrote:Speaking to some CSX people who were on the train, I am being told that neither Clinton nor Schumer were on board. Just another crazy railroad rumor, I guess. Unless you count Joseph Boardman as a VIP.
Can't confirm nor deny...but I was at the lunch-counter at Frontier yesterday (Monday) and the Lines East boys were all a-twitter about Her Hillaryness being out there. Didn't hear that the train had stalled...maybe it hadn't happened at that time yet.

True or not, it's believable. It's exactly the sort of photo-op thing a supposedly populist politician would do...as if Chuckie and Hill could actually JUDGE the condition of the track.

by roadster

Well Politicians do need their photo ops ya know. In their defense, they may not be track experts. But to be present and have the federal inspectors describe the rail conditions to them directly as it happens. If nothing else, atleast their giving the "appearance" of being involved. lol The other question would, What would you have them doing? Ah forget it, just political hooplah. Lets stick with the important stuff. RAILROADIN!

by LCJ

I don't know anything here -- but my skeptical side is aroused when someone claims that two US Senators are riding an FRA test train. Just doesn't pass the smell test, for me anyway. Has anyone actually seen any press about this -- or is it one of those floating rumors?
WNYT Report makes no mention of Senators riding

by roadster

I don't know. The RFE told me when I was originally called for it. But due to the breakdown, I was reassigned to a relief job. Who Knows, and at this time, it's a mute point anyway. The "James Bond Special" W007 should be on it's way again by now.

by Otto Vondrak

Without giving too much away, my source was on the train, they reported no Senators.

by roadster

Well, I guess that pretty much ends that bit eh? except the failure of the equipment.
  by henry6

Actually the precence of Joe Boardman is more than symbolic. As head of the FRA, it shows good follow trhough; as former NYSDOT Commissioner, it shows he is still on top of NY transportation needs and problems; as a native of the Utica area, he is sure as hell not goint to let CSX wipe his home away with a single derailment (that have been inching east from Buffalo and west from Albany. And though the Bush administration has friends in big railroads (Hayes T. Watkins of CXS was in cabinate) Boardman knows NYS and the railroads and railroaders involved well enough to show his face back home to assure the hometowners he is watching over them.