• CSX Gensets?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by roadster

A co-worker of mine in Rochester told me that, CSX is going to assign a Genset unit at Rochester Goodman st. yard as an evaluation test. He was told that NY state has purchased 12 of these units for testing by NYS railroads in a simular arrangement to Houston and UP in Texas. Anybody else heard of NYS purchasing Gensets.

by SimTrains

This is the first I am hearing of it, and all I have to say is... It's about time!! I've seen, and actually moved dozens of them for the UP, and I have been wondering when we would be getting around to getting some for ourselves.

It would be even better if they would wire them up to be operated via RCO... :wink:

by lvrr325

The same state that shorts Syracuse schools 20 million and gives less aid per-student than in Rochester, Buffalo or NYC - and basically told the courts who told them to recalculate their aid formulas "yea, sure, we'll get right on that, eventually' ... ?

I'd believe it when I see it, to be honest, guys have been pushing high-speed rail bills for years and never get anywhere, it's hard for me to believe that someone could have slipped in a bill to fund something like that and no one would have noticed.

by JoeS

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a genset? What is one used for, and how will it benefit CSX?

Thanks
  by duramaxdiesel

I don't know about the rest of NYS but they did pay for one to be built for Railex to use at Rotterdam instead of renting an Alco from GVT or anybody else.

by amoreho1

JoeS wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is a genset? What is one used for, and how will it benefit CSX?

Thanks
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39538

by JoeS

Thanks

by WANF-11--->Chaser

JoeS wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is a genset? What is one used for, and how will it benefit CSX?

Thanks
Well if this story is true here's my thought on it. Many times the legislature doesnt need to vote on expendatures like this. Then again most legislators dont even read the entire bill that they're voting on...and you think you cant lose your rights....thats another topic though.

In short it's another case of corporate welfare. Probably what happened was some lobbyist for CSX called up the DOT and spoke Astrid Glynn ( DOT Commish) and said "hey what does it take to get 20 mil for some new locomotives?"

Our bureaucracy, being all too willing to fall over themselves to "support business" in NYS writes the check.

In the meantime our schools get shortchanged and I have to drive on pothole ridden highways and LA&L RR crossings that are ripping the suspension off my vehicle. I'll be sure to send the bill to Gene Blabey and Astrid Glynn.....(Gene, you reading this? Fix your Calkins Rd crossing!)

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call up the DOT and ask for 50 grand for a new Humvee. Afterall I need a durable vehicle to navigate bad roads and it's critical for my abilitiy to do business in New York State....
:-D

Another thing. When was the last 4 axle locomotive produced by GE or EMD? I'd have to guess it was the MP-15 or GP60. Those were built in the mid to late 80s? Getting old!

CSX made $240 Million in 1Q 2007, at that trend they'll make nearly 1 BILLION dollars this year!!!!! And they won't spend 20 mil. on new locomotives? I like and support railroads, but if they want to try new equipment....they should pay for it out of their own deep pockets!

by RussNelson

It's the environmentalists. First, they're leftists and they want to pay more taxes (yes, they're insane). Second, they don't care about economics and cost-benefit justifiications. Anything that can be done to "protect the earth" is worth any cost. Thus $20M to test new "energy efficient" is a pittance, in order to save $1M worth of fuel. (I'm making these numbers up).

by roadster

I do beleive it has arrived. while rolling by E bd on Q386 this afternoon, I noticed a Genset loco. sitting on the Roadrailer 2 (behind the usual engine storage tracks to the east). While I didnt' get a good look, it appeared to have a gray/green/yellow paint sceme as seen from the front. Couldn't see anymore. OK, You Rochester guys, get some photo's.

by MP366

Affirmative on that Roadster.....

RRPX 5400 is on RoadRailer 2. Q625 dropped it off Sunday night. Unfortunately, a certain individual driving a r-d tr--k decided to cross multiple yard tracks to get pictures WHILE 625 was making a 60 car pickup, resulting in the crew of 625 asking for the NF to call 911, so I didn't wait around to see where on RR2 they left it. You can see it from Main St E through the VOA parking lot FWIW

by Mike Roque

Here's a photo...

Last edited by Mike Roque on Wed May 30, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

[Moved to CSX Forum for greater exploration - ov]

by amoreho1

thats a road hybrid from railpower not a genset